Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics

/ Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #1  

dngspot

Bronze Member
I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer with a bit of skepticism and justifiability so. I bent the tire rim breaker and the bar used to remove the tire right away. The tire I started with was a 31 10.5 15 on a aluminum rim. This rim has one of the tightest beads I have worked with. At one time in my life I broke down tires as part of my job. Anyway, I managed along and removed the tire and reinstalled it. There is no way that this thing can be treated as an industry standard tool, but who would expect any tool from HF to be of industry quality? To make this a bit stronger here is what I did.

I welded in two plates to make the bead breaker stronger; I also cut a piece of thick wall pipe to use to break the bead. I mounted this guy to the floor; it would be pretty tough to work with it loose. Here is a pic of the finished product.
DSCF0049.jpg

I have replaced the tire bar with a new one from HF, seen at the top of the pic
DSCF0048.jpg

In this pic you can see some of the damage to the bead press. I pulled one of the adjustment holes, out of round. If this continues to be a problem I will make a thicker piece.
DSCF0050-1.jpg

I will be replacing the tire bar with a Ken Tools Snake. They make one 42 inches long; it is used with their tire changer. Ken Tools tire changer cost over $400.00. Mine will cost just over $100.00 with the Ken Tool Snake and work just as well when I get the tool.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #2  
Great idea. i had to weld mine with some metal to stiffen it as well. How do you find the end of the tool when putting tires BACK on? I thought it is thick a metal and i just use some spoons to do the put on.
I bought mine years ago from Northern and paid about 120 dollars now they are like, 40 at HF. Even with having to stiffen it up its well worth the money.
Sure beats other methods.

/ Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics
I used the sharp end of the tool to put the tire back on the rim. It was not much of an effort and it worked like a spoon.

/ Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #4  
I bought that tire changer about 2 years ago, and it has more then paid for itself over and over. Not the best piece in the world, but for 50 bucks at the time, good deal. I use WD-40 for bead lubricant and it does fine. With heavier tires or tight beads you have to move the rim around and do it in several bites. Needed it on the farm to repair flats quickly, but have used it for all kinds of truck tires, and implement tires. Most of my wagons use 31x10.50x15 and it has no trouble with them. 16 10 ply are a lot tougher, but it still gets them done. And yes it is easier to put the 10 ply on with spoons instead of the tool that came with it.

/ Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #5  
I have the exact same changer, and had to reinforce the exct same things,:D
But once I built it the way I need it it has been working out good, its worth having the bead breakers if nothing else,.... actually everyone that knows I have one comes to use it when they need change out a trailer car truck tire etc, I've changed out as large as 33 x 12.50 tires on 10"wheels to as small as 10" lawn tractor tires, I have had mine bolted to 3 different stumps over the past 6 years, so it has out lasted the stumps,:D come to think of it I'm probably going to have to cut down me another tree soon;)

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #6  
Congratulations, you now work in the Harbor Freight tool refinement department. :D

/ Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #7  
I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer with a bit of skepticism and justifiability so. I bent the tire rim breaker and the bar used to remove the tire right away...
I welded in two plates to make the bead breaker stronger; I also cut a piece of thick wall pipe to use to break the bead. I mounted this guy to the floor; it would be pretty tough to work with it loose. Here is a pic of the finished product...
I will be replacing the tire bar with a Ken Tools Snake. They make one 42 inches long; it is used with their tire changer. Ken Tools tire changer cost over $400.00. Mine will cost just over $100.00 with the Ken Tool Snake and work just as well when I get the tool.

dngspot,

I have been looking at youtube videos for the better part of this evening to see how Ken Tools tire changer works and also some pretty poor videos using the HF tire changer. I've had the equivalent of the HF changer for a few years and haven't used it much, even though I've changed quite a few tires. Mine isn't bolted down so I basically only use it to break the beads.

Your posting today gets me to wanting to use mine in a better way and I have a few questions.

1. Is yours bolted down permanently? I don't have the room to do that.

2. The pipe you are using for the bead breaker looks like a piece of angle iron. Could you post some close ups? How did you get the pipe to look like a bead breaker? Did you replace the HF breaker or reinforce it with the pipe?

3. The Ken Tools Snake looks like a real labor saver. Are these available locally or did you get a knockoff at HF?

4. Would the 42" Snake work on smaller tires than car/truck tires? Or, would a smaller one be needed for smaller tires?

5. What is the price of a Snake?

Thanks for any answers that you have time for. And thanks for starting this thread.

Clem

/ Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #8  
Not doing tons of tires, I did not want to permanently bolt it to the floor. What worked well enough for me was to bolt it to a sturdy pallet that I could stand on. I busted a couple of dozen tires doing it this way and it worked out pretty well.

I am sure bolting it works better, but every decision comes with consequences ... but to someones earlier point, $50 well spent

/ Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #9  
BX24,

Good alternative.

Did you put a piece of plywood on it or just bolt it to the slats?

Clem

Not doing tons of tires, I did not want to permanently bolt it to the floor. What worked well enough for me was to bolt it to a sturdy pallet that I could stand on. I busted a couple of dozen tires doing it this way and it worked out pretty well.

I am sure bolting it works better, but every decision comes with consequences ... but to someones earlier point, $50 well spent

/ Harbor Freight Tire Changer Mods With Pics #10  
I have railroad ties lining my driveway, so I just take mine out and bolt it down to one of the ties with lag bolts when needed. I change tires rarely enough that it's not a big deal to install/remove it each time it's needed.