Tire Chains on industrial tires?

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
Do tire chains for a light (26hp) CUT make sense in the winter? I have industrial tires and sure would like a little more traction in the snow and ice. Is there any danger that tire chains might hurt the hydro tranny? I'd appreciate any info.

John NH TC 26DA

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #2  
Yes, chains make sense. When I ran chains on turfs I made sure the chains were snug to tight. If left too loose you run the risk of disloging them when you make tight turns. Stout bungee cords help to keep the slack out. I can't see where chains could harm an HST.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #3  
Chains on ind tires are the way to go, With mine I never had a problem going fwd or backward, but the lateral traction was about non existant. I found a set of truck chains for dual ten hundred 20's that fit mine well.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #4  
Chains will make a world of difference on a light tractor. So will added ballast.

You did not say whether you were plowing with the loader, a blade (front or rear), or a blower.

That being said - I use the loader on my 300' drive and large parking area with an oversize bucket, plenty of ballast (approx 1800-2000#, tires and 3ph), R-4's and no chains.

We had about 14 inches of wet snow this last Wednesday, and while I spent most of the time with the fronts in the air, steering with the brakes, I did not lack for traction.

I've used chains in the past on a 2wd Ford 2000 - They worked great. Just a little tough on the pavement if you happen to spin 'em.

If I find that I need them to get the job done with my current unit - I will not hesitate to purchase them.

As to whether they would hurt an HST - I think not.

Good luck, and have a great day,

Lunk

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #5  
I needed a bit more traction for snow work on paved inclined areas, so put a set on just the fronts, made all the difference. I've got a set for the rears but so far have not needed them.

If you just need a little more traction you may consider going with just fronts, they of course are less expensive and are easier to install, especially with a loader to lift front end.

Attachments

• DSCN3041.JPG
    DSCN3041.JPG
    938.9 KB · Views: 899
  • DSCN3125.JPG
    DSCN3125.JPG
    978.1 KB · Views: 2,059
   / Tire Chains on industrial tires?
Thanks, all, for the info. I am plowing with a rear blade and of course, the loader when necessary. The idea of chains just on the front is pretty appealing as it would be both cheaper and easier. Since the tractor is rarely if ever used for anything other than snow removal in the winter, having them on for the whole winter is not a problem, either.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #7  
I run chains on front and rear on R4's. Tirechains.com is a good source for info and chains, I used Duo-ladder on rear, V-Bar ladder on front. The R4's have deep lugs so chains with linked crosschains like their Duo-ladder type are useful to prevent chain falling between lugs esp. on larger tires. They sell useful chain tensionning devices as well. I find the rear chains with R4's hard to get on perfectly evenly as the lugs are big and the chains heavy.

Installing the rears
734796180_jFVrH-M.jpg

In action
734799931_gf6yg-M.jpg

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #8  
In action
734799931_gf6yg-M.jpg

I notice in this pic that the blower is off the ground on one side probably due to uneven terrain. Don't know if you are aware there are little adjustable tabs at the bottom of the lift links for the 3pt where they connect to the draw arms. if you flip those little inserts around they allow for some independent float up and down on each side which in your case may help the blower follow closer to the contour of the ground.

I always just keep mine in the locked position as I haven't found a need otherwise, but it might help in your case, if your not already doing it.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #9  
Thanks. I'll check for level but it is uneven there. I was aware of the float, can't remember if set that way as dealer put it on when I wasn't there. Probably best to have in float.

/ Tire Chains on industrial tires? #10  
I needed a bit more traction for snow work on paved inclined areas, so put a set on just the fronts, made all the difference. I've got a set for the rears but so far have not needed them.

If you just need a little more traction you may consider going with just fronts, they of course are less expensive and are easier to install, especially with a loader to lift front end.

JB do you have a shot of how you rigged up your plow to your 3 point?