Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights?

/ Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #1  

nh3930

What is y'alls preference? Liquid rear-tire ballast or wheel weights? Anyone have any problems with liquid ballast putting extra strain on the axles?

/ Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #2  
I have both on my tractor. I started with just the weights but wanted more. No issues to date.

Liquid ballast causes almost no strain since the weight is not hanging on the axle, its sitting on the ground.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #3  
If wheel weights were readily available and the same price as liquid ballast wheel weights would be my first choice. I have had trouble with calcium chloride eating out my valve stems and rims. I have Rimguard filled tires now and for me that's the way to go.

/ Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #5  
I have Rimguard, more weight for the money and I would think a lower center of gravity on side hills. If I had wheel weights I don't think I would remove them for certain jobs where lighter would be better. Just too much work.

/ Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #6  
I did mine myself using -20 Blue Windshield Washer Fluid. Got it by the 55 gallon drum for $.94 per gallon delivered to my house. Took me all of 1.5 hours to fill the tires using my neighbors pump and a $10 fitting from TSC.

I had Calcium in my old Ford. It at the rims and cost $800 to repair. Never again.

Chris.

/ Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #7  
Have rimguard and kicked myself after getting it done. (Kicked myself for waiting 8 years before getting it done!!) As stated, no strain on axels since weight is all pushing on the inside of the tire in the direction of the ground. No rim damage, non toxic if it leaks. It was fairly cheap (I think $200 for 11.2 24's?). I would also consider washer fluid though the rimguard is a little heavier. (11lbs per gal vs maybe 8 for washer fluid)

/ Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #8  
Have rimguard and kicked myself after getting it done. (Kicked myself for waiting 8 years before getting it done!!) As stated, no strain on axels since weight is all pushing on the inside of the tire in the direction of the ground. No rim damage, non toxic if it leaks. It was fairly cheap (I think $200 for 11.2 24's?). I would also consider washer fluid though the rimguard is a little heavier. (11lbs per gal vs maybe 8 for washer fluid)

I also have rimguard. The weight is actually on the rims and ground and not the axle. Depends mainly what you want to use the tracor for but for loader work and off camber it can't be beat...

/ Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #9  
New to the Rimgard camp and have yet to really feel the difference. I can't wait till I get a chace to use the the tractor again.

/ Liquid Tire Ballast vs. Wheel Weights? #10  
You will like the Rimguard. I have always had my tires filled with calcium chloride. Once with calcium chloride is enough. Taking the wheels off, draining the tires, breaking the tire down, throwing the tubes away and buying new, having the wheels welded, and the expense of refilling with calcium chloride. Plus the hassle of putting this stuff all back together. No thanks. I'll pick the Rimguard any day.