Chain patterns vs tire types

/ Chain patterns vs tire types #1  

Dead Horse

Platinum Member
With all the tire chain threads, I noticed there are a lot of different types of chain patterns being spoken about.

That got me to thinking about the optimal match for various tires AND surfaces.

For snow removal, I am running R1's on pavement (for the most part) and wonder if I can improve performance with something other than tightly fitted, standard, "ladder" chains. I have some V bars that I could add to the set with a crimp tool. I am thinking to take these and make them "duo-grip" with the ladder chains already installed.

I plow (snow blow) a 1/2 mile long drive with a loop at the top and pad in front of the shop at the bottom. The road rises 300 feet from bottom to top.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• March 2008 017.jpg
    March 2008 017.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 351
  • Last snow March 2008 007.jpg
    Last snow March 2008 007.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
   / Chain patterns vs tire types #2  
The best chains for R1 or R4, are the ones that they use on logging equipment. US made, and priced to match... They are usually small linked, made out of expensive/long lasting steel, and feature several longitutional [is that a word?] chains that run around the circumference/tread of the tire, either straight around or in a diamond pattern...with cross chains to keep everything in place.... I have a set of 3/8" large linked H pattern bar chains I put on my 16.9/28's... They do a good job for the price I paid, but next time, I am going to save up for the good ones...

PS: NICE TRACTOR.... should just scare the snow away firing that thing up... :)

/ Chain patterns vs tire types
The best chains for R1 or R4, are the ones that they use on logging equipment. US made, and priced to match... They are usually small linked, made out of expensive/long lasting steel, and feature several longitutional [is that a word?] chains that run around the circumference/tread of the tire, either straight around or in a diamond pattern...with cross chains to keep everything in place.... I have a set of 3/8" large linked H pattern bar chains I put on my 16.9/28's... They do a good job for the price I paid, but next time, I am going to save up for the good ones...

Got a picture?

sounds like a version of "double ring" chains.......

The "Canadian logging" chains are the premium stuff here, but only for logging, as they have "thumbs" on them. Just parking a skidder on pavement, even in the winter with well below freezing weather, will drive the thumbs into the pavement.

I am not looking for anything with cleats on them. The most agressive I am willing to get is v-bar.

/ Chain patterns vs tire types #4  
Got a picture?

sounds like a version of "double ring" chains.......

The "Canadian logging" chains are the premium stuff here, but only for logging, as they have "thumbs" on them. Just parking a skidder on pavement, even in the winter with well below freezing weather, will drive the thumbs into the pavement.

I am not looking for anything with cleats on them. The most agressive I am willing to get is v-bar.

Like the ones on the bottom of the page on this link. Same as the 'Canadian logging' you are thinking of. They are pricey....but you get what you pay for. I have a heavy set of Chinese chains...H pattern..simular to the tru grip on this link...and do the job. But are real heavy for the amount of chain that is actually riding on the lugs of the tire...

Secure Online Shopping for all of your Tire Chain needs

/ Chain patterns vs tire types #5  
IMO, "tightly fitted" chains are not the answer. Snug, no tighteners and allowed to "walk" around and drop out of the lugs is best for chain traction.
And ladder chains have worked well on both R-1 and R-4 tires for me. For busting through deep snow in fields and/or brush in the woods, then some of the logging chains may be better. I expect most just need some assistance while plowing snow off drives and roads. So ladder chains (unless one is going for that massive, heavy chain look :) ).

/ Chain patterns vs tire types #6  
What keeps ladder chains from disappearing between the lugs on ag tires? I'm looking at duo-grips but would prefer double rings if they work with my R1s.

/ Chain patterns vs tire types #7  
Ladder chains work well on turf tires...when you first do it it's like experiencing a new improved tractor.

Since we live in a kind of swampy area we chose turf tire's. We golf and didn't want the ruts in the 4-5 acres we short game in.

Also we require all wheel performance because of constant 30+ year drainage projects that first yield what we call 'project trees' drawn through soupy area like you see pictured in the avatar.

It's incredible the size trees you can drag with adding some dirt in the FEL if you have chains on the front tires...HOLY COW!

We use to have an 'H' model with AG's so I knew I wanted a different footprint.