Tractor tire chain spring tensioners

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #31  
I have no tire wear that is noticeable - main reason is I really do not drive enough miles to notice but also my chains have just slack enough so they slip a little relative to the tire. Ladder chains are designed to move slightly slower than the tire so they spread any wear effects around the entire tire. This feature is aimed more at cars and trucks which usually move farther and faster with the chains on in one direction. I not do not drive far but I probably put in nearly the same distance in reverse as I do forward.

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #32  
And yes my chains are on inside out - the links were getting kind of thin on the other side, I reversed them hoping to squeeze a couple more years out of them.

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #33  
I tighten mine down tighter than a skeeters tweeter, but I still need/use tensioners, I also tie off the locks and any extra links, don't want any surprises when I'm "out there" also don't like to hear them.

I've been surprised to hear lately that some don't use or prefer them. I've got 2 CUTS and 2 garden tractors with chains and always felt I needed them (the tensioners).

JB.

I've tried with and without tensioners on my tractors and if I don't use them the chains will eventually walk off the tires no matter how tight I get the chains themselves.