Tractor tire chain spring tensioners

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #1  

shine

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Got my tire chains from tirechains.com qualtity chains at a good price.To bad I got the spring tensioners with them. The only thing thats a bigger pita putting them on is takeing them off. I'll buy some bungies tomorrow.

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #2  
Got my tire chains from tirechains.com qualtity chains at a good price.To bad I got the spring tensioners with them. The only thing thats a bigger pita putting them on is takeing them off. I'll buy some bungies tomorrow.

I got the chains with the cam lock type tensioners. I love them! They go on quick and stay tight all winter.

Get the solid rubber bungies... None of this braided rubber band stuff.

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #3  

Shine do you even need tensioners? There is no way your chains will come off is there?

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #4  
Been using bungee cord for 30 years. I use small link chain for hooks, cut just enough out of the link to allow it to slip on the side chains. Need to stretch the bungee cord a bit to get it in the home made hook.

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #5  
Tighteners are just window dressing, IMO.
Not needed and if anything, interfere with the cross links dropping out from between the lugs so they can do their job.
If the chains are too loose, then they should be shortened and fitted to the tire.

But, if one feels better with bungees or springs, that is fine too. Won't make fun of ya :)

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #6  
I also have the cam lock type but I use a small cable tie to make sure that if the chains loosen the cams won't open.

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #7  
I tighten mine down tighter than a skeeters tweeter, but I still need/use tensioners, I also tie off the locks and any extra links, don't want any surprises when I'm "out there" also don't like to hear them.

I've been surprised to hear lately that some don't use or prefer them. I've got 2 CUTS and 2 garden tractors with chains and always felt I needed them (the tensioners).

JB.

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #8  
I got my chains today from tirechains.com. The spreader is a bit flimsy and a bit of a pita to attach, but with enough breaks to warm my numbing hands and the appropriate amount of foul language, I got the chains on tight enough so they probably aren't really needed anyway. The industrial tires make it a lot more difficult to get the chains on right than auto tires or turf tires. On cars, at highway speeds, the chains wear a lot faster and loosen up quite a bit, but here on snow and ice with dirt underneath and at tractor speeds, I don't expect there will be enough 'wearing in' to even notice.

After a lot of thought on the matter, I decided to put chains on front tires only. I know a lot of people don't like that idea, but given the relatively light usage the tractor gets in the winter and the fact that almost all of my actual plowing is downhill, and more momentum driven than traction driven, I don't think it's going to put too much strain on the front drivetrain. I guess I'll find out though..

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #9  
If you ever had to put a 200 pound chain on in a mud hole or in the middle of a blizzard with the wind blowing up your shirttail you would see the need the need for tighteners
been there/done that:(

Tom in Vermont

Tighteners are just window dressing, IMO.
Not needed and if anything, interfere with the cross links dropping out from between the lugs so they can do their job.
If the chains are too loose, then they should be shortened and fitted to the tire.

But, if one feels better with bungees or springs, that is fine too. Won't make fun of ya :)

/ Tractor tire chain spring tensioners #10  
If you ever had to put a 200 pound chain on in a mud hole or in the middle of a blizzard with the wind blowing up your shirttail you would see the need the need for tighteners
been there/done that:(

Tom in Vermont

I've been putting my chains on IN THE BARN, BEFORE I NEED THEM for 35 years or more and I also say if you know how to install chains, you don't need to use a bunch of crap to keep them on. I do tie off the free links of the side strands on the inside to keep them out of the fenders.