Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Default Tractor tire chain spring tensioners

Got my tire chains from tirechains.com qualtity chains at a good price.To bad I got the spring tensioners with them. The only thing thats a bigger pita putting them on is takeing them off. I'll buy some bungies tomorrow.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Re: Tractor tire chain spring tensioners

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Got my tire chains from tirechains.com qualtity chains at a good price.To bad I got the spring tensioners with them. The only thing thats a bigger pita putting them on is takeing them off. I'll buy some bungies tomorrow.
    I got the chains with the cam lock type tensioners. I love them! They go on quick and stay tight all winter.

Get the solid rubber bungies... None of this braided rubber band stuff.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Finger Lakes Region of New Yorkistan FUAC
    Tractor
    2007 John Deere 4320 Cab Tractor

Shine do you even need tensioners? There is no way your chains will come off is there?
    JD 4320 Cab,6' KK Brush Hog{Old Heavy Version}, 6' Woods Finish Mower, 400x FEL 73" HD Bucket, 3rd Function Kit Installed, 6' AF11 Snow Blade, 60" Root Rake Grapple, Wallenstein FX-90 Skidding Winch...

Tractor
    JD 2320

Been using bungee cord for 30 years. I use small link chain for hooks, cut just enough out of the link to allow it to slip on the side chains. Need to stretch the bungee cord a bit to get it in the home made hook.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Tighteners are just window dressing, IMO.
    Not needed and if anything, interfere with the cross links dropping out from between the lugs so they can do their job.
    If the chains are too loose, then they should be shortened and fitted to the tire.

But, if one feels better with bungees or springs, that is fine too. Won't make fun of ya

Tractor
    JD 4115

I also have the cam lock type but I use a small cable tie to make sure that if the chains loosen the cams won't open.

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

I tighten mine down tighter than a skeeters tweeter, but I still need/use tensioners, I also tie off the locks and any extra links, don't want any surprises when I'm "out there" also don't like to hear them.

I've been surprised to hear lately that some don't use or prefer them. I've got 2 CUTS and 2 garden tractors with chains and always felt I needed them (the tensioners).

JB.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    . NH TC26DA

I got my chains today from tirechains.com. The spreader is a bit flimsy and a bit of a pita to attach, but with enough breaks to warm my numbing hands and the appropriate amount of foul language, I got the chains on tight enough so they probably aren't really needed anyway. The industrial tires make it a lot more difficult to get the chains on right than auto tires or turf tires. On cars, at highway speeds, the chains wear a lot faster and loosen up quite a bit, but here on snow and ice with dirt underneath and at tractor speeds, I don't expect there will be enough 'wearing in' to even notice.

After a lot of thought on the matter, I decided to put chains on front tires only. I know a lot of people don't like that idea, but given the relatively light usage the tractor gets in the winter and the fact that almost all of my actual plowing is downhill, and more momentum driven than traction driven, I don't think it's going to put too much strain on the front drivetrain. I guess I'll find out though..

Gold Member Greenmountain Farmer's Avatar
    Tractor
    John Deere 6405, 2640,& 920

If you ever had to put a 200 pound chain on in a mud hole or in the middle of a blizzard with the wind blowing up your shirttail you would see the need the need for tighteners
    been there/done that

Tom in Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Tighteners are just window dressing, IMO.
    Not needed and if anything, interfere with the cross links dropping out from between the lugs so they can do their job.
    If the chains are too loose, then they should be shortened and fitted to the tire.

But, if one feels better with bungees or springs, that is fine too. Won't make fun of ya
    "Live Today how you want to be Remembered Tomorrow"

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountain Farmer View Post
    If you ever had to put a 200 pound chain on in a mud hole or in the middle of a blizzard with the wind blowing up your shirttail you would see the need the need for tighteners
    been there/done that

Tom in Vermont
    I've been putting my chains on IN THE BARN, BEFORE I NEED THEM for 35 years or more and I also say if you know how to install chains, you don't need to use a bunch of crap to keep them on. I do tie off the free links of the side strands on the inside to keep them out of the fenders.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast