Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

Default Re: Tire tank waterer

Quote Originally Posted by ehchvac View Post
    Interesting article. They mention not trying to cut across the bead, I bet they are not kidding. I have cut up dirt bike tires with a sawzall and there is a thick wire in those, I end up cutting it with a cold steel chisel and a hammer as it ruins the sawzall blade. It in a tire that size it must be pretty big and really tough.

As a side note around here they turn tires inside out and use them for feeders. This eliminates the 'cup' on the bottom side which will hold moisture and makes a larger opening. They generally don't put any kind of bottom in them, it gets moved around enough by the animals to eliminate any kind of moldy hay build up in the bottom.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77

A combine or tractor tire is kinda flimsy. Typically they use a earth mover type of tuff tire. Yours might not last real long.

Saws all will do about the best.

Up here in MN, you can just cut out a hole or 2, not the whole way around. Make a cover of sorts over the middle, to insulate it some.

I like the Cobett type wateres, no fuss, no electricity.

--->Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ehchvac View Post
    something like this setup.

http://magissues.farmprogress.com/MO...y09/mor018.pdf

I also cant find an article, that said someone was using tires from strip mine dump trucks cut in half like a bagel and each half held around 300 gallons.
    He claims they give them away and are happy to get rid of them.
    It must take six men and a boy to move them.
    Thanks much article was just the trick,kind of planed on doing things that way just hated to do it twice if someone had some info thanks again

Tractor
    2008 T2220

I'm surprised by the ability to cut these with a Sawzall. Maybe because you are cutting sidewalls? I once tried to cut blocks from a "gator", thrown recap from the side of the highway, and it shook me so violently it made me dizzy.

So much for using them to isolate the air compressor!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Tractor
    JD 790

Here's a step by step demo of making a tire water trough:
    Cattle Forum & Cattle Discussion Boards at Cattle Today

I don't know how it would work on thicker tires but I've cut out a lot of sidewalls on light truck tires for tire gardens with a good sharp knife. The hardest part is getting the knife through in the first place. After getting it started, just pull up on the bead near the knife and it zips around like nothing.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    TN55

I talked to a rancher in the forest this summer that is converting over to these. He likes them because they handle bullet holes real well (typical bullet will not penetrate) -- and they are cheap. He plugged his with concrete after setting it in place, and runs a piped in spring to it for water.

Tractor
    Case IH 1390

Quote Originally Posted by massey driver View Post
    I've cut lots of rubber belting and some sidewalls out of tire's as well as face of tire's and all I used was a olfa knife the one with the blades that you break off as the blade gets dull.Don't know how a saw will work as never tried one.Had a Uncle who tried cutting belting with his bandsaw and said it was a pain so I told him and showed him how the knife worked.He thougth it was a better way to go.Just take your time as you'll have to take a few small cuts getting deeper each time but it does work.Larry
    If it is just a tractor tire I agree that a sharp boxcutter knife is fine, just take your time and run the blade through the same line three or four times and you will be through. We regularly cut tire sidewalls into rectangular, flexible hinges for lobster trap doors (nail one end to the trap and one end to the door). We avoid steel belted tires to make it simpler, but most bands are fiberglass these days and the knife goes through those easily as well. Wear gloves and goggles just in case the blade snaps.

On a big tractor tire you can make a 2 or 3 foot cut in one smooth motion following the shape of the tire, and then just run the knife along the same cut a few more passes to get all the way through. Probably faster and less bouncing around than a sawzall. Also likely to leave a smoother edge than a sawzall would. YMMV, but either approach is likely to get the job done.

*************** EDIT - Ok, I just realized that I responded to a three year old thread. Doh!! ***************
    Case IH 1390, 64 PTO HP
    Loader with bucket, 6' back blade, Woods bushhog, 2 furrow plow and a couple of very old, rusty disk harrows

Here is a blow-up of my avatar, if you are curious... http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...pspjuu267r.jpg

Bronze Member

That's okay zing. Never hurts to bring up good ideas. I don't ever remember seeing this thread before, and it turns out there's a link in it my build thread on another forum.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

The thread was started 3 years ago today.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast