Tire tank waterer

/ Tire tank waterer #1  

neevlk

Has anyone ever tried to cut sidewall out of a tire? I run beef cows on pastures that i have divided into paddocks and pulled waterlines and hydrants in.Now I need 6 tire tanks for watering. I have 2 10 ply combine tires laying around that would hold 100 plus gallons,would like to cut sidewalls out and make my own tanks. Possible?? Any ideas ???

/ Tire tank waterer #2  
A Sawzall should do it. Use a metal cutting blade if the tires have wire reinforcement in them.

/ Tire tank waterer #3  
:p I've cut lots of rubber belting and some sidewalls out of tire's as well as face of tire's and all I used was a olfa knife the one with the blades that you break off as the blade gets dull.Don't know how a saw will work as never tried one.Had a Uncle who tried cutting belting with his bandsaw and said it was a pain so I told him and showed him how the knife worked.He thougth it was a better way to go.Just take your time as you'll have to take a few small cuts getting deeper each time but it does work.Larry:D:D

/ Tire tank waterer #4  
Has anyone ever tried to cut sidewall out of a tire? I run beef cows on pastures that i have divided into paddocks and pulled waterlines and hydrants in.Now I need 6 tire tanks for watering. I have 2 10 ply combine tires laying around that would hold 100 plus gallons,would like to cut sidewalls out and make my own tanks. Possible?? Any ideas ???

I guess I don't understand. How are the tires going to hold water? You can cut them with a sawsall.
Bill

/ Tire tank waterer #5  
The tires we use are from the LARGE dumptrucks used in the local gravel pits. Can't remember the number of plies offhand but they're very thick, hard and some are steel belted. Use a sawzall with a fairly corse blade, even for steel belting. While you are cutting have someone hold a hose and run a small stream of water on the blade. Trust me an olfa knife isn't going to cut our tires. The sawzall still takes a bit of time for us but it's the best method we've found for cheap. The combine tires might be a little easier to cut.

/ Tire tank waterer #6  
My cousin had a bunch of tires turned into horse feeders about 20years ago. The guy that did it had a homemade contraption that you set the tire onto a half of a rim and then there was a hydraulically powered arm with a heavy duty blade on the end of it that would slice the sidewall out of the side facing up. Once the sidewall was removed you hooked about 10 chains to the freshly cut edge and then the rim half was hydraulically pushed up until the tire turned inside out.

You could then either place the tire directly on the ground or cut a piece of plywood to fit the rim opening and fill it full of feed.

Worked great for horse/cow feeders but not sure it would work for watering.

/ Tire tank waterer
I guess I don't understand. How are the tires going to hold water? You can cut them with a sawsall.
Bill

The ones I've seen for sale have a cement plug in one hole and on the top sidewall cut out so the whole top side in open for water acessibility.Iam guessing they put a type of sealer around the bead where cement plug rests.

/ Tire tank waterer #8  
For watering you would not have to cut out the entire top side. Just enough to allow livestock access.:D

/ Tire tank waterer #9  
When cutting belting, we used a razor knife and put a few drops of kerosene or light oil on the blade as we cut. The oil was what made the difference.

/ Tire tank waterer #10  
something like this setup.

http://magissues.farmprogress.com/MOR/MR05May09/mor018.pdf

I also cant find an article, that said someone was using tires from strip mine dump trucks cut in half like a bagel and each half held around 300 gallons.
He claims they give them away and are happy to get rid of them.
It must take six men and a boy to move them.