Screw In Tire Studs

/ Screw In Tire Studs #21  
Check out Pro Gold ice screws. They are hardened unlike an sheetmetal screw and you'll see why we use them on the MX bikes on the ice. Very aggressive.

"PRO GOLD" ICE SCREWS

/ Screw In Tire Studs #22  
Check out Pro Gold ice screws. They are hardened unlike an sheet metal screw and you'll see why we use them on the MX bikes on the ice. Very aggressive.

"PRO GOLD" ICE SCREWS

I agree with PILOON, sheet metal screws hold up extremely well, but I won't argue that purpose made ice screws are the best. FRP Gold pro ice screws from Fredette Racing Products I like Fredette Racing for three reasons; 1: Jeff Fredette is a good 'ol Illinois boy with 30 ISDE start/finishes..probably more than any other American in history. 2: He has dedicated his racing and development almost exclusively to Kawasaki's KDX's ( probably the most dependable and easily modified 2 stroke woods bike ever made. {Yes, we have a full Fredette modded one wearing a set of fresh tires/SM screws in the garage}.) 3: He sells the screws in smaller batches of 100 if you want to buy less.

/ Screw In Tire Studs #23  
I'm also considering screw-in studs rather than chains and would be interested in hearing from others that have tried them. For those that do have studs; will they damage concrete in your garage from pulling the tractor in/out?

/ Screw In Tire Studs #24  
I'm also considering screw-in studs rather than chains and would be interested in hearing from others that have tried them. For those that do have studs; will they damage concrete in your garage from pulling the tractor in/out?

Depends on what you call damage, but they will sure eat away and mark the concrete. You will be able to tell from the marks each time. And if you spin the tires or turn the wheels, that much more chewing.

DHD
Have you tried the studs yet? If so, how do you like them?

/ Screw In Tire Studs
Depends on what you call damage, but they will sure eat away and mark the concrete. You will be able to tell from the marks each time. And if you spin the tires or turn the wheels, that much more chewing.

DHD
Have you tried the studs yet? If so, how do you like them?

No tractor studs yet, the more I think about, the less I like the idea.
I just had a loader installed, so I've been experimenting.
The extra weight of the loader has helped out a little with my steering traction on ice.
For the next snow storm I was going to put 3 or 4 sand filled 5 gal. pails
(about 60 pounds each) in the loader bucket, to see if steering traction would improve even more.

I park my Kubota in the garage on a cement floor.
My 2 link rear tire chains don't do any damage to the cement, but I was concerned the
steering of the front tires on the cement with studs might cause damage.
I go thru some tight turn manuvers getting my Kubota in and out of the garage.
I already have deep stud scratches in my cement floor from the rear studded tires of a full sized rear wheel drive passenge van we use to have.
Because of that, I stopped putting studs in my car tires.

The studs in car tires are smaller in diameter than compared to the heads of sheet metal screws. So maybe, sheet metal screws would not damage cement on straight runs,
but with tight steering while moving I think damage would be more likely.
Also, I don't think it would be practicle to constantly install and unistall studs on a seasonal bases, and having an extra set of R4 tires and wheels for seasonal swaps is too costly (at least $500).

/ Screw In Tire Studs #26  
I cant help wonder about how difficult they will be to remove at the end of winter with the head worn down, especially the sheet metal screws. Also, with my luck, my wife would get a flat on her car by picking up a thrown screw, then I would be 'screwed'. :rolleyes:

/ Screw In Tire Studs #27  
Thanks for the feedback about your experiences with studs on a concrete garage floor. Since I really don't want to tear up my floor, I'll probably start looking at chains instead, or just throw some protective plywood down. If I end up with studs, I'll report back with a review.

/ Screw In Tire Studs
Thanks for the feedback about your experiences with studs on a concrete garage floor. Since I really don't want to tear up my floor, I'll probably start looking at chains instead, or just throw some protective plywood down. If I end up with studs, I'll report back with a review.

Have you read what other folks say about tire chain use on thier tractors ?

You'll find some folks use chains on all four tires, some just use chains on the back and some just use chains on the front.

I talk to a Kubota tech a few days ago, Kubota does not recommends chains on the front tires.

Did you see this thread yet ?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/133645-stud-tires-3.html

/ Screw In Tire Studs #29  
Yes, I have been checking out the old threads on chains; and the one you referenced is particularly good. There certainly is a lot to consider and understand when adding chains, or almost any other modification. If I do go with chains, I would probably add rear chains first and see how that goes, then add front chains if still needed. My snow removal is accomplished with a front blower, usually in the float position, without a FEL mounted, so I don't think I would have as much weight bearing down on the front components relative to those who have a FEL mounted. Another thing I learned from the old threads is to check for enough clearance to add chains.

How about airing down my tires a bit? Can I expect any worthwhile gain in snow traction to try that?

If anyone is interested, here is another choice for tire studs that I haven't seen mentioned yet >>> Grip Studs

/ Screw In Tire Studs #30  
Maxigrip Studs - I just installed them on the front of my LS 7010 and they seem to work well. None have came out so far this winter.
Maxigrip Screw Studs.jpg