Screw In Tire Studs

/ Screw In Tire Studs #51  
I used self tapping sheet metal screws. Here in Cape Breton it is hard to get what you want so I bought all the #12 I could get and had to buy some #10 They were all 1/2 inch. The #10 were on the outside and I lost 5 of them. The #12 stayed in place. I was wanting to get 16 but 12 was all I could get within 100 km.

Traction: There were two driveways that I could not get up and worse then getting up getting down was scary when I did get up in a prior storm. I went home put the screws in then went back to the driveways and I was able to go right up. Coming down the icy driveway was great as well. Works great on ice but not so much in deep snow. I am making up a set of chains and going to order the real tire studs. I will put the chains on if the going gets really bad and enjoy the smooth ride when I do not need the chains.

/ Screw In Tire Studs #52  
Every storm I am on the pavement for about 3 hours. So about 30 km. after 4 storms many of these screws are worn flat and almost flush with the tires. I like the stud thing but I think I will pay the price for the harden screws that are meant to be use as studs.

/ Screw In Tire Studs #54  
The koldkutters work well and they're reasonable. You can get a 2wd tractor around with them if deep snow they dig down to frozen earth/ice grab and go. They're hollowed out on the head and yes to answer questions asked they can be removed quick as that with cordless drill and proper bit. You can save em and put em back in the same holes the next year fwiw. They're harder than any sheet metal screw. To save garage concrete lay down cardboard or a buffer. I use tractor supply horse stall mats. The koldkutters are very good on ice but they can scratch concrete if the tires spin or asphalt which is why I'm looking for other traction solutions but in a pinch you can put in a **** ton of these in 15 minutes as the need presents including getting stuck! Set the drill at torque setting and it self stops when they bottom out. They also work well on ATV and dirt bike tires which was my original intent/experience. Had em handy so tried on tractor cause I hate using the V chains although those work even better IME.

/ Screw In Tire Studs #55  
I saw these posted in another thread yesterday

Tire Studs Selection | Grip Studs

I have 200 of these coming, I'll let everybody know how they work. I use my tractor and they will stay in all year round. Cant run my front tire chains as they shake too bad going down the road, I made 1 trip with them and removed them. We will see how the studs work. CJ

/ Screw In Tire Studs #56  
What kind and size tire you putting them on, new, used, somewhere in between? I looked at the recommended tractor studs, 1910T $125.95/100+ a $10..00 install tool+$SH a $260.+$$ experiment. Then when it's time to replace tires you'll have to pay it again, and or if some come back out, that's somewhere's around $1.25/pc. But on the plus side, they might work good and last long time and maybe the tires will last longer. So when you get them in, post a pic.

I'll look forward to a full review next month and next year....

/ Screw In Tire Studs #57  
We have been using the studs for years on Compact as well as some larger tractors as well as snow grooming units which is where we first used them. To have good snow removal equipment we have found that normally we are on ice by the time the tractor tires get there and chains will hinder traction on hard surfaces.

/ Screw In Tire Studs #59  
   / Screw In Tire Studs #60  
So 1/2" is too short? They fall out of R4, turf or AG tires?