Tire filling

/ Tire filling #1  

seca111

I'm buying a new Kubota and I'm thinking about getting the tires filled.

Is it only to get better loads on the FEL, because I don't really need that, but I do have a hilly lot and if it will make the tractor more stable and safer on the hills I'd spend the extra 395

/ Tire filling #2  
Without extra weight on the back with filled tires or weights your rear wheels won't be on the ground using the FEL. The dealer will probably load the for free with water/antifreeze. Mine did. It's standard at my dealer.

/ Tire filling #3  
It will surly make it more stable. It will not allow you to lift more but it may allow you to drive with more weight in the bucket and feel safe. Just remember that the loader has a limit it can lift and no amount of ballast will increase that.

Chris

/ Tire filling #4  
How about adding wheel weights, or a weight box on the back instead?

/ Tire filling
so if I want more stability on the hills then I should fill the tires.

is that correct?

/ Tire filling #6  
Without extra weight on the back with filled tires or weights your rear wheels won't be on the ground using the FEL. The dealer will probably load the for free with water/antifreeze. Mine did. It's standard at my dealer.
they won't load the tires unless you tell em to.

/ Tire filling #7  

is that correct?

Yes filling the tires will make your tractor more stable. Typically the tires are filled to just over the top of the rims and this keeps the majority of the weight low and it leaves a space for an air cushion.

/ Tire filling #8  
Just so this is not all one sided.

Adding liquid ballast or wheel weights depends on your needs and situation,
but most folks that have loaders have liquid ballast in the rear tires.

Depending on what tractor you're looking at, wheel weights maybe another possible alternative.
(On some model tractors the manufacture does not offer wheel weights.)
Wheel weights offer the flexability of adding or removing the weight when required.
However, wheel weights can be well over a 100 pounds each, which may not make it that easy to add or remove.

A ballast box or heavy implement is another alternative.
However, a ballast box or heavy implement adds weight to the rear axle and wheel bearing assemblys that liquid ballast and wheel weights would not.
Then again, a rear ballast box or rear heavy implement helps take weight off the front axle assembly when doing loader work,
which is something that liquid wheel ballast or wheel weights would not do.
So what is often recommended, is a combination of rear liquid ballasted tires or rear wheel weights and a ballast box or heavy implement, when doing loader work.

My previous tractor was a 1969 Ford 2000 with no loader, and had calcium chloride solution as ballast in the rear tubed tires.
I was unable to finish mow large portions of my lawn/pasture during various times of the year due to the weight of this tractor on soft ground.
Also I had to have one of the rusted thru rims repaired due to the corrosive liquid ballast.

For my new Kubota B7800, I am one of the few who did not have liquid ballast added to my rear tires, and wheel weights are not offered for my tractor.
My loader manual states:
"When mounting a heavy rear implement, liquid in the tires may not be required."
I always have some heavy implement attached to my 3 point hitch (mower, snowblower, or a loaded carryall)
My loader work has include moving snow, firewood, a few rocks and cement blocks. For heavy items I pick up slow and move low and slow.
The majority of my tractor work is either finish mowing or snowblowing, with occasional firewood hauling on a 3 point carryall.
I wanted to keep my tractor as light as possible, for finish mowing work, so as not to rut soft areas of lawn with my tractor tires.
Which is the main reason I did not have liquid ballast added.
60 % of my finish mowing is on a steep hill and occasioanally I have to engage 4 wheel drive when my rear tires
do not provide enough traction (wet grass), but my tractor is still very stable without ballasted tires.
Having no liquid ballast in my rear tires has worked out really well for me in my situation, but would not work for all.

So, if you are like most folks, who do not require their tractor to be as light as possible for certain applications,
then I highly recommend a non corrosive liquid ballast or wheel weights for your rear tires.
If my situation was different, I would probably have one or the other too.

/ Tire filling #9  

is that correct?
Instead of filling the tires.
I use a BH for weight on 1 tractor a tiller on another and nothing on a 3rd tractor since I dont have an implement on the front of it .
Works great for me.

/ Tire filling #10  
$ 395?

Go buy the 5$ burp valve from napa or tsc, and a couple gallons ( depends on tire size ) of rv holding tank antifreeze, eco safe stuff preferably, and yer garden hose.. then take a couple hours and load them yourself.. your cost will be the time, the burp valve and the antifreeze used in each tire.. just need to add enough so it won't freeze solid.. slushy is fine..

soundguy