Loaded Tire experts...Help!!

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!! #1  

BeeBop

Silver Member
Tractor
02 Kubota L-4610 HST w/4in1 bucket & R-4s
I am noticeing an unfavorable premature wearing around the center of my R-4 tires. They are loaded from the dealer and have about 18 lbs to 15 lbs in the tires as I last recall. The tires don't look as they are getting total footprint on the ground, almost has the appearance of an over inflated tire? Is it possible that too much loading was done and if so how would one verify this problem? Thanks..

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!! #2  
Loaded? as in 'filled with fluid'? or wheel weights? or back-hoe?
Sounds like you know the answer, that the tires are over inflated.
But, what does your manual say for tire pressure on the R-4's?

I would let some air out so the foot print looks right.

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!! #3  
I concur. Sounds over inflated.

Just my opinion though,

Don

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!! #4  
I have heard of people using the following procedure:

Find out the acceptable psi range for your tires.

Fill them to the max inflation rating.

Let air out until the outer lugs on your tires are touching the ground (best done on pavement) But don't go below the minimum rated psi.

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Hope this helps.

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!! #5  
Too much air for sure, we used to wet the grass with a hose, drive through it and onto the drive to check our foot print, R-4's are hard to judge on

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!! #6  
Loaded tires should be filled a max of "75%" (actually they are usually filled just enough to cover the top side of the rim, especially when using corrosive liquids such as Calcium Chloride.) You definitely want some air left to act as a "shock absorber" and allow the tire to deflect a bit when it hits a bump. Otherwise it's a very jarring ride for you and for the tractor.

It does sound as though your pressure is too high. You generally run a bit lower air pressure with loaded tires than you would with just air. As others recommended, I'd let out enough to leave yourself a nice footprint when carrying whatever is a typical load for you.

It's possible there is too much liquid in your tires, but I'd try letting the air out first. Stop with the tire stems at the top of the rotation and let out some air. If liquid comes out, they may well be overfilled. If you have CaCl or other corrosive fill, it's best to be sure to rinse off the tractor wherever the fill may have dribbled.

John Mc

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!!
Thanks for the replys guys. I will let some air out as I will check the liquid as well. If this does turn out to be too much liquid how would one go about removing it and setting it to the right amount?

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!! #8  
First of all, I'm no expert. I can tell you some things from personal experience though. My 12-16.5 R4 rear tires each have 15 gallons of antifreeze/water mix. This is less than it takes to cover the wheel, but since corrosion is not an issue with that liquid that's OK. It does allow me to add or bleed air without adding or removing liquid.

Just last night I aired down to 7# from the 10# I had been running, and it made a noticeable difference in the ride comfort. I do not understand the physics of having a tire 25 or 50 or 75% liquid-filled as it relates to the level of air pressure required for proper operation. (I do know that anything near 100% liquid fill is a big "no-no".)

If you check the string "Pop Goes The Kubota!!" under Kubota Buying/Pricing there is more info and pics............chim

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!! #9  
Chim,

The more water, the more weight. Therefore 75% = most weight.

Water doesn't compress or if it does it won't very much. That's why you need to keep water out of injector pumps.

If you have 25% air then when you hit a bump the air can compress and ablsorb the shock. Water won't and will cause something else to give. Like maybe the tire sidewall.

This is as I understand the world,

Don

/ Loaded Tire experts...Help!!
You guys were so right, too much air. I couldn't accept in my mind that 16lbs or so was too much but it was. I aired them down to 9 or 10lbs and now it has a Bigfoot on the ground, great contact. Thanks all!