Loaded tire pressure

/ Loaded tire pressure #21  
Never said the PSI was different...simple physics...you guys are misunderstanding the point I'm trying to make. Yes, the PSI is the same, but it changes the physical properties of the tire. The air container (tire) is fundamentally smaller (volume).

no it is not... the tire csing size / volume has not changed any. each internal square inch of that tire will have effectively the same pounds per square inch exerted on it whether it is a square at the top in the air bubble, or a square out on the side wall under fluid.

think of a well pump with bladder.. that bladder with compressed air is what gives you water pressure when the pump is not running.. the pressure of that air pressing on the bladder, pressing on the tank and pipes.

the reduced air volume only means there is less amount of give available as the amount the air can compress is reduced since the volume is reduced.

This makes for a smaller interior surface for the pressure to exert on. It does, in essence, create the effect of a smaller tire. It's not that hard to understand...you are overthinking a simple question of physics.

nope.. sorry.. same size tire. the imersed part of the tire is not immune from pressure just because it has a liquid over it.. that's why you don't fully load a tire as if it hit a shock load it could split.. no compressible material in there to take a shock load like air would.. the tire splits due to psi on the interior of the tire exceeding the burst rating of the tire...

I wear a size 11 shoe...it fits my foot...if I try to put my foot in a size 10-1/2, it will fit, but it exerts more pressure over the surface area of my foot and makes it uncomfortable...because I am trying to place the same volume of foot into a smaller vessel.

that analogy don't work with the tire, ballast and air pressure we are working on....

And I agree with rick.. you are debating useless minutia by keep bringing up the difference in compressability of the liquid in the tire, vs the air in the tire.. and in effect, diluting the otherwise practical information in this thread.

soundguy

/ Loaded tire pressure #22  
no it is not... the tire csing size / volume has not changed any. each internal square inch of that tire will have effectively the same pounds per square inch exerted on it whether it is a square at the top in the air bubble, or a square out on the side wall under fluid.

think of a well pump with bladder.. that bladder with compressed air is what gives you water pressure when the pump is not running.. the pressure of that air pressing on the bladder, pressing on the tank and pipes.

the reduced air volume only means there is less amount of give available as the amount the air can compress is reduced since the volume is reduced.

nope.. sorry.. same size tire. the imersed part of the tire is not immune from pressure just because it has a liquid over it.. that's why you don't fully load a tire as if it hit a shock load it could split.. no compressible material in there to take a shock load like air would.. the tire splits due to psi on the interior of the tire exceeding the burst rating of the tire...

that analogy don't work with the tire, ballast and air pressure we are working on....

And I agree with rick.. you are debating useless minutia by keep bringing up the difference in compressability of the liquid in the tire, vs the air in the tire.. and in effect, diluting the otherwise practical information in this thread.

soundguy
I could put my engineering cap on and explain this to you, but I believe we may have maxed out your capacity. (Air, considered a liquid as far as compressibility, and viscous liquids compress at different rates). Put your thinking cap on and think about this for awhile before responding again. You are arguing just for the sake of it. I've tried to explain this in layman's terms, but you are not grasping the concept. Read your prior post to this...you agreed and disagreed with me in the same paragraph. You are way overthinking this.

/ Loaded tire pressure #23  
You'd lose that bet...I CAN DEFINITELY tell the difference between a loaded vs. non loaded tire if the given pressures are the same. That is why I have loaded tires with 10 PSI loaded vs. the 20 PSI that I ran unloaded. Do we all need a group hug or something? LOL.:D

If you know ahead of time which you are driving, it's not a blind comparison, now is it???

You are projecting what you think you know into a predetermined result. I'm sorry I challenged you that way, I could have predicted your response had I thought about it a little.

Additionally, if 10 PSi is near correct for loaded tires on your tractor, 20 psi unloaded was way overinflated.

No hug required.

/ Loaded tire pressure
I know that was a vague point...let me try again. Diesel is a liquid and you know what ignites it in an engine...compression. I wasn't trying to go off topic, but somewhere earlier in the thread there was mention of liquids not compressing. That was incorrect, and this forum stuff is all about learning from one another.

In a diesel engine it is the compression of the air and the consequent increased temperature that ignites the fuel which is injected after the air is compressed/heated. Compression of air functions as a spark.

/ Loaded tire pressure #25  
If you know ahead of time which you are driving, it's not a blind comparison, now is it???

You are projecting what you think you know into a predetermined result. I'm sorry I challenged you that way, I could have predicted your response had I thought about it a little.

Additionally, if 10 PSi is near correct for loaded tires on your tractor, 20 psi unloaded was way overinflated.

No hug required.
No Rick...20 PSI is the recommended pressure on both the sidewall and in the owners manual.

/ Loaded tire pressure #26  
In a diesel engine it is the compression of the air and the consequent increased temperature that ignites the fuel which is injected after the air is compressed/heated. Compression of air functions as a spark.
So the hydraulic fluid in your tractor...under pressure, it guess it remains cold to the touch when under pressure. Diesel fuel, under compression heats up...it has a flash point. How many hydrodynamic engineers on here, anyway?

/ Loaded tire pressure #27  
I could put my engineering cap on and explain this to you, but I believe we may have maxed out your capacity. (Air, considered a liquid as far as compressibility, and viscous liquids compress at different rates). Put your thinking cap on and think about this for awhile before responding again. You are arguing just for the sake of it. I've tried to explain this in layman's terms, but you are not grasping the concept. Read your prior post to this...you agreed and disagreed with me in the same paragraph. You are way overthinking this.

I have my engineering degree.. and know that you are beating a point of minutia to death and back many many times... this went way past practical application long ago.

any usefull information is now burried in the first few posts, and the rest of it is just statics and dynamics that the average hayseed doesn't care about.. or will -ever- need to know.

what they need to know:

air the tire up after you do the 70-90% fill, depending on whose chart you use, add air till the tire deflection and ground patch look good.. should be close to air pressure needed for an un ballasted tire, not counting loads on the tractor.. don't exceed tire or tube max pressure.

what they don't need to know:

ANY of the MATH about the compressibility of a fluid or liquid .

soundguy

/ Loaded tire pressure
So the hydraulic fluid in your tractor...under pressure, it guess it remains cold to the touch when under pressure. Diesel fuel, under compression heats up...it has a flash point. How many hydrodynamic engineers on here, anyway?

Everything under pressure increases its temperature. It is a fact that in a diesel engine the fuel is injected after the air is compressed (Diesel engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). That is how a diesel engine works.
A fluid does not reduce its volume under pressure i.e. it is non compressible. That is why a loaded tire needs air to prevent bursting.

/ Loaded tire pressure #29  
I have my engineering degree.. and know that you are beating a point of minutia to death and back many many times... this went way past practical application long ago.

any usefull information is now burried in the first few posts, and the rest of it is just statics and dynamics that the average hayseed doesn't care about.. or will -ever- need to know.

what they need to know:

air the tire up after you do the 70-90% fill, depending on whose chart you use, add air till the tire deflection and ground patch look good.. should be close to air pressure needed for an un ballasted tire, not counting loads on the tractor.. don't exceed tire or tube max pressure.

what they don't need to know:

ANY of the MATH about the compressibility of a fluid or liquid .

soundguy
Some of my best friends are hayseeds...I wouldn't trade their friendship or practicality for anything. They know more about ballasted tires than you or I could ever hope to.

/ Loaded tire pressure #30  
No Rick...20 PSI is the recommended pressure on both the sidewall and in the owners manual.

I guess you have been too busy typing to read the good info in this thread about sidewall deflection vs. inflation.
Or you just don't want the facts to interrupt your dissertation.

Inflating rear tractor tires by the sidewall information is a rookie mistake. That info is seldom anything but a guidline to keep from damaging the carcass itself by overinflating it.