BX220 Nail in tire

/ BX220 Nail in tire #1  

pemad

Silver Member
Tractor
B7510 HST
Okay I have a question as a newbe tractor owner. I ran over a nail and punctured my front tire on my BX2200 this weekend :-( . I have a FEL on it and was wondering if I should have the tire guy plug the tire or should I plug it and put a tube in it? Thanks for you help.

/ BX220 Nail in tire #2  
You say plug it and put a tube in it. I sure wouldn't do both. I think the choices are: (1) have a tire professional plug it or plug it yourself if you know how (it's simple), (2) either you or a tire professional remove the tire from the rim and patch it on the inside, or (3) break it down and put a tube in it. Personally, I'd just pull the nail out, put a plug in it, air it up, and go.

/ BX220 Nail in tire #3  
I put a tube in mine when I did that...should say I had a tube put in...I didn't do the work.

Justification was that the tires get a lot of downward pressure on them when one is using the FEL. I'm not sure a plug would be up to the job.

/ BX220 Nail in tire #4  
Roy, I think a plug is up the job, even using the FEL, if the tire is properly inflated. I had to put a plug in my right front tire (mesquite thorn) and never had a problem with it. I did roll it off the rim (broke the bead loose on one side) once with a maximum load on the FEL and slowly turning, but that was just because it was underinflated to start with; had nothing to do with the plug.

/ BX220 Nail in tire #5  
I fully agree with Bird, any of the options that he mentioned would work well. Plugs or patches are used every day on heavy equipment and over the road trucks that carrier much heavier loads than you'll ever consider even with your FEL. What it really comes down to is what makes YOU more comfortable while in the operators seat. You may want to consider after the repair putting a good quality sealer in both front tires to do a "self seal" should you get another puncture in the future. Good Luck!

/ BX220 Nail in tire
Okay, Sounds like a plug or patch will do the job. I would do it myself but it has a finishing nail in the tire and I can't get the bugger out. So I will drop it off at the tier place tomorrow and have them pull the nail and patch it. Thanks everyone for all the info.

/ BX220 Nail in tire #7  
I've had an epidemic of flats lately: car, both trailers, JD garden tractor. Used the plugs on them all, and successfully. Haven't had a flat on my tractor, but am sure the plugs will work fine. This is for holes in the tread area; side wall holes are different especially on radials and may not hold up well.
jim

/ BX220 Nail in tire
Okay, I went to the tire place and had it plugged. It was not a nail but a thorn. I can not believe a thorn could puncture a tire. I guess I will have to be more careful where I drive!

/ BX220 Nail in tire #9  
<font color=blue>I can not believe a thorn could puncture a tire</font color=blue>

I can. See my last message; mesquite, Bois D'Arc (you may call it Osage Orange), and goodness knows how many others, puncture tires very easily./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ BX220 Nail in tire #10  
<font color=blue>mesquite, Bois D'Arc (you may call it Osage Orange), and goodness knows how many others, puncture tires very easily </font color=blue>

Just regular old rose bush thorns can do it easily enough. It will take them a while to work through, but they can and do do it just fine. A real pain to get the little buggers out too.