Gouged My Tire !

/ Gouged My Tire ! #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Backed my tractor into my backblade and sliced the rear tire with the 3/8 thick steel upper mount. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif The tires are Titan 13.6x16 Turf tires. There is a groove scraped out of my tire about 3/8 wide and about 3/16 deep. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif The tire did not puncture all the way through but I am concerned because this is only a 4ply tire. The gouge is in the sidewall and is about 3 inches long. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif Should I put some silicone, glue, RTV, or permatex in the void ?

/ Gouged My Tire ! #2  
Jerry,

Sorry to hear about your tire's BooBoo! /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

When I was in high school, I worked for a tire dealership that specialized in industrial and commercial tires. I don't ever remember "filling" in gouges in the sidewalls. And like I said, the tires we dealt with were used very hard. So I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about it.

Having said that, and recognizing that my days at the tire service were just a few years back, there have been a few improvements in tire repairing since then. You might want to call a tire dealer, just for peace of mind, or to get the best advice on how to take care of it.

/ Gouged My Tire ! #3  
I think the only peaqce of mind you'll have is a new tire. I don't think the "fill a hole" technology is in place as of yet. I know these tire aren't cheap though, you may want to ride it out? Good luck, keep us posted.

/ Gouged My Tire ! #4  
You could also take and have the tire filled with foam. Then you can run it till it falls off. :)

Don

/ Gouged My Tire ! #5  
Jerry,
Take it off and take it to your tire shop. Tell them you want a over size boot for the damaged area. You will never have to worry about it again.

/ Gouged My Tire ! #6  
The "boot" that the other Jerry mentioned is only good for patching the inside of a tire and you say you gouged yours on the outside. Can you see any of the cords exposed or broken? Now I'm not claiming to be a tire expert, but if it were me and no cords broken, I'd ignore it and run it. On the other hand, if the cords are broken, I'd be shopping for a tire. Of course, if the impact broke cords on the inside, then Jerry's "boot" might work. I've used lots of them (even made some homemade ones out of old inner tubes), but like most patches, they work best in the tread area and I wouldn't count on one lasting long for a sidewall. As far as putting silicone, RTV, or whatever in the gouge, I don't think it would hurt a thing. The trouble is that I also don't think it would do a bit of good either.

/ Gouged My Tire ! #7  
Run it. Industrial tires such as these ( I know you have turfs, they're still an "industrial" tire) get divots and other damage all the time. If it blows out, stick a tube in it with a boot over the inside of the hole just to keep stuff out. I would watch my speed, though. It might be dangerous over 70 m.p.h.. :)

/ Gouged My Tire ! #8  
For what its worth, my old ford 8n has up to 3/8" of rubber missing in lots of places, especially the sidewall.. but holds air very well.

Soundguy

/ Gouged My Tire !
For what it's worth, here's some pictures from my new digital camera. I agree Bird, some goop would only have cosmetic effects.

Attachments

• 47-183315-Dcp_0056.jpg
    47-183315-Dcp_0056.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 203
   / Gouged My Tire !
I know I'm probably overreacting, but it's so young to suffer such indignity.

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 47-183316-Dcp_0057.jpg
    47-183316-Dcp_0057.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 199