Tire Valve Stem Failure ?

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ? #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hi Folks, ive got Calcium Chloride running /dripping out from the "Base" of the valve stem on my rear tractor tire.

Dealer tells me I likely have a nail (had a nail) and the base of the valve is the only place for the Liquid and air to escape. (ive looked for and can find no evidence of a puncture)

Seems to me more like the base of the stem has ripped /torn/worn thru.

if the vavle is positioned at the bottom of the tire, its literally running out in a steady stream. If i rotate the wheel to the top, i can slow it to a Drip. Tells me the stem has failed

if I wiggle the stem at all, it squirts out like a hose

what are your thoughts?

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ? #2  
Sounds like you need a new tube. Tubeless, the valve stem is shot. Tire should have 80% water, which is valve at top, then air.

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ? #3  
Calcium is hard on the stems, just like rims. It eats away at the metal parts. You need a new tube would be my guess.

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ?
There is a threaded collar on the Stem, like a wheel that seats down close to the base of the Stem. If i Tighten it or loosen it it really pours out (even with the valve clost to the top)...i have to play with the position of that wheel to slow it to a drip.

Im guessing where the metal stem is bonded to the rubber is where its leaking.

Im hoping the dealer covers it under warranty (Tractore is less than a yr old)

started leaking 2 weeks ago, and all ive done is move a couple of hay bales in the snow.

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ? #5  
if it has a nut it's more than likely a tubed tire.. though i have seen some nice tubeless stems with anchor nuts. if it IS tubeless, rotate to the top, jack up and rip it out and install a new one after cleaning the hole.. er.. or if under warranty.. let yer warranty provider do it.. :)

soundguy

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ? #6  
Had a similar issue last summer. I had ran a piece of wire through the tire and punchured the tube. It came out around the valve stem. had to drain the tube/tire and replace the tube and refill.

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ?
Well, it was a Valve stem failure. The stem completely detached from the tube. even the large flange (part of the stem) that is bonded to the inside of the tube was detached. Dealer hadnt seen that kind of product failure in a tube before. Changed under warranty, got a new tube, Tire Re-Loaded and im happy again.

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ? #8  
sounds like a happy 'warranty' ending.

soundguy

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ? #9  
I have the same situation on my Kubota L4630, on one of the rear tires. The tires are filled. I assume they're tubed, as they were filled when I bought it new in February 2007. I have the same nut at the bottom of the stem. Filled tires would have to be tubed, right?

How long would the tube be warranted for? If it's not warranted, I guess I'll have to call in a tire guy to fix it, as my dealer doesn't have a field truck that can do tire work. They'd have to haul it into the shop, and they charge $95/hour to haul a tractor. plus the shop time to replace the tube, plus the cost of the tube, so I think a tire guy who would come to my farm would be much cheaper.

/ Tire Valve Stem Failure ? #10  
I can tell you from experience that you want to thoroughly rinse and dry a rim that has has calcium leakage.
That stuff is extremely corrosive, could cost you a rim!