Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains?

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #1  

tacarima

Steel tire chains are very destructive to asphalt driveway while blowing snow. I am trying to decide if I should switch to rubber tire chains or invest in AG tires and add more weight to rear of tractor. I have an old Snapper 1600A. Everything about the tractor screams tank and the snow blower attachment was no exception. Looking for the best way to add traction without tearing up driveway.

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #2  
Welcome to TBN! I moved your post into Owning/Operating forum so more of our members will see your question. Thanks for posting!

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #3  
Welcome to the forum.
Tough choice to make. I haven't tried rubber chains, but prolly wouldn't bother.
My steel chains only make marks on the asphalt when the tires are slipping (i.e. not enough traction). They do not tear up the asphalt nor are "very destructive". Just make marks that I can see when spring comes along. Gone by fall.

But seems rubber chains, while not making marks in the asphalt, would just tear themselves up in short order.

More weight so you don't get slippage while blowing snow, and adjusting the forward movement to the speed needed to blow the snow instead of pushing it - would be the best action to take.

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #4  
Steel tire chains are very destructive to asphalt driveway while blowing snow. I am trying to decide if I should switch to rubber tire chains or invest in AG tires and add more weight to rear of tractor. I have an old Snapper 1600A. Everything about the tractor screams tank and the snow blower attachment was no exception. Looking for the best way to add traction without tearing up driveway.
Absolutely not.

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #5  
I think the general concensus is that Ag style tires are actually worse on hard, snow-covered surfaces. You want as much tire/chain on the surface as is possible. Turfs give you that.

Just go with chains and weigths. The chains just leave light scratches. And, you can minimize this by not pushing your tractor to spin the tires.

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #6  
I'll say go with Ag tires.

I don't have any experience on asphalt but I do certainly endorse Ag tires for most jobs. For the most part Ag's are not good for lawn projects but other than that it gives you traction without having to deal with chains at all.:thumbsup:

It won't be cheap but worth it in the long run.

I cringe to think about chains on asphalt but once again...no experience so I too would like to hear from others who run chains on the tar.

Last edited:
   / Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #7  
I think steel link chains will always be better because of their tendency to flop a bit and self clean by unloading some of the scooped material.
larry

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #8  
I've used rubber tire chains on smaller tractors for cleaning snow off driveways and they are very effective. They avoid marks on concrete and asphalt and wear well. The chains looked like new 5 yrs after using them when I sold the tractor.

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #9  
I have rubber chains for my JD 425 and 240 lbs of suitcase weights on the rear. They make it possible to get up my neighbors very steep winding drive way. I still can't push the blower up hill when the snow is deep. I have to take a half bite. They do make for a rougher ride. I haven't noticed any wear in the 3 years I have been using them.

Chris

/ Are rubber tire chains better than steel tire chains? #10  
i have ring chains on my L4400, which is used for snowplowing, so the tractor is pushing, not just driving through the snow. i rarley leave any type of mark on my asphalt driveway, and dont have the time to care if i did. its a driveway, not the kitchen counter. i have yet to see tire chains be "very destructive" to any asphalt driveway. i walk steel tracked machines (dozers, excavators) on my asphalt driveway all the time, with no issue. (i cant do it in the summer when the asphalt is "soft", but spring/fall/winter has no effect)