removing a rear tire

/ removing a rear tire #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
I have R4 Industrial 15x19.5 rear tires, unloaded. How heavy is the tire and wheel combo? How hard are they to take off and put on? I have a feeling they're too heavy to lift by hand, so will I just have to jack the tractor up to the exact height needed to slide the wheel off and back on?

/ removing a rear tire #2  
Danny,
I placed some wheel chocks under the front tires and then put a 3 1/2 ton floor jack under the main draw bar area. I raised it up until the rear tires were just off the ground and then put a jack stand under each side of the rear axle. After I removed the wheel bolts I just wiggled the tire off the tractor and rolled it away. I had two 75 pound wheel weights on the each wheel and it was still quite easy.

/ removing a rear tire #3  
"I had two 75 pound wheel weights on the each wheel and it was still quite easy. "

I've a smaller tire/wheel combo on my 670. However, concur with Spencer's post. It's not too hard...even loaded. Don't let it get away from you...and keep the kids away, just in case!!! If it does get away from you...don't try to grab it. You're not going to hurt that tire or wheel.

Must make sure ya prop it up or have some help when you lift it to re-install.

I also jacked mine at the draw bar bracket (not on the bar). Please but a jackstand under the axle when you pull the wheel off.

Now, I did have help...but I'm a gimp (from a stroke). After breaking the bolts loose, I jacked mine just enough to be able to spin the tire by hand. After that, I removed the bolts. The last one was a bit of a pain. I left the tractor with the jack positioned as described above and the jackstand under the axle (I was only removing the right side wheel).

To re-install, my helper did lower the tractor a bit (maybe an inch) and then slowly raise it to align the wheel bolt holes to the tractor bolt holes.

/ removing a rear tire #4  
I had to remove and reinstall a loaded 12.4x24 R1 AG tire, I had my neighbor use his FEL to load the tire in the truck to take it to the tire shop. I reinstalled it my self by using a bar and a short 4x4 block to lift and align it to the bolts. Was a lot easier than I thought it would be, putting it back on.

/ removing a rear tire #5  
it is not that difficult to remove: just jack it up, put a stand under it, and wiggle the tire off, as stated before don't let it get away from u. once u get it off what are u going to do with it? u might need some help if u are going to load it in a truck. just think safety first.

/ removing a rear tire #6  
If you're doing it on a floor, one thing that helps a lot is a short piece of skatewheel conveyor. Put it under the tire with the wheels on the floor, and moving the tire becomes a lot easier.
If the wheel is held on by bolts rather than lug nuts, a couple tapered bars come in real handy when reinstalling.