How to Plug a tire?

/ How to Plug a tire? #11  
haz -
<font color=blue>wordly experience </font color=blue>
oh yeah ... that's right - you don't know him .... great kid ----BUT --- sometimes needs detailed instructions/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif must take after his dad /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ How to Plug a tire? #12  
Tractor Supply Co for about ten bucks. Read the instructions and start pluggin holes. It's a piece a cake................
Bartman

/ How to Plug a tire? #13  
Hi
I have used plugs in all manner of tyres, they are brilliant. But here down under we have a product called slim that you put in your tyres and when you get puncture it leaks out and blocks off the hole. I ran this for years in the front tyres tubless on a 70 hp Aussie tractor with FEL i think this is a better way to go.
vin

/ How to Plug a tire? #14  
vin,

Have you tried that in the rears?
I thought about it but it would seem that my 16x30 rears would require a 55 gallon drum of the stuff?

Fred

/ How to Plug a tire? #15  
no i have not tryed it in rears, never had problems with back tyres, i guess because they have more plys.

/ How to Plug a tire? #16  
I'm not sure what the guy at the tire shop told you as to the reason he prefered patches on the inside over plugs but I will pass on why i don't use plugs Except in emergency situations.(yes,I keep plugs around) I have had plugs pull completely out of a tire! Doing FEL work in 4x4 shoving the bucket into some piles the fronts started slipping, dug down past the bars(ags) and the exposed end of the plug got traction on a rock and poof! had a flat again. Patches eliminate this problem. rccoyote

/ How to Plug a tire? #17  
The plugs I buy around here are already glued and gooey. You just pull a fresh strip from the plastic wrap and thread it through the needle. The glue is very thick and makes it kind of tough to get through the needle but I prefer it.

I used to take me an hour to take my tires off and haul them down to the tire store at $5 a pop. They would put in a plug. Not any more. Takes a couple minutes to fix the flat. What a great tool!

/ How to Plug a tire? #18  
Phred,you don`t fill the tires all the way up...not a weight additive.they have a scale that converts tire size to pumps (term used when tire sealent is installed in a shop) probably come out to 1 gal or so...it just coats the inside.probably 6 or 8 large fix-a-flat per tire would work also. My 650x16 cost about $14 each.... Sid

/ How to Plug a tire? #19  
Oh an yea guys...food for thought...sealer vurs plugs....if yer way outtinna boonies how are ya gonna get air to air the tire up with?hummmmmmm...think i`ll stick with my pink or green slime and an spare ex large can of fix-a-flat in the tool box...lol ...Sid

/ How to Plug a tire? #20  
Speaking of fixaflat, ( which has saved my bacon more times than i care to mention ).. anyone know if someone makes just canned air? No sealant.

There are times when i get a low tire, or do a roadside plug.. but don't want to use the fixaflat as it can throw tire ballance off quite a bit... those times I usually don't have my compressor handy... sure would be nice to have a heavy duty size can of air that screws on just like the fixaflat to air up a low tire... Not quite economical.. but it would have practical applications... for instance... my 12v electric pump won't work when I'm out in the field with my 6v 8N../w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Souundguy