How to Plug a tire?

/ How to Plug a tire? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Got my first flat. picked up a nail or piece of metal (haven't pulled it out yet) in the right front.

I've done a search here, and have seen several references to plugging a tire & that it's easy, but NO instructions.

Lay it on me

what do I need?
where do I get it (Napa?)
How do I do it?
Am I better off with tire sealer?

/ How to Plug a tire? #2  
You can get a tire plug kit at Walmart or Napa and the instructions are on the package. It is just like putting thread on a needle and then sticking in material. Just the needle is bigger and the thread is rubber and you put a little rubber cement on it before you poke it in the hole.

/ How to Plug a tire? #3  
It just so happens… /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

48-195390-Victortirerepairkit.jpg

Saturday, I had to go to Wal-Mart’s for some tire plugs… they have this basic kit for $3.96… small enough to put in your tractor tool box…

If the hole already goes through the tire carcass… just string your plug (using the middle section) on the end of your plug tool… put a generous amount of contact cement on the plug… and plunge the plug into the hole leaving both opposite ends remaining outside the tire about ½”… dab some more contact cement on the outside… and apply air…

If you “plan” on getting lots of flats… then buy the super $9.96 kit with 25 plugs and a few extra goodies… with a nice little plastic case to keep organized for the next time…

Good luck! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Attachments

• 48-195390-Victortirerepairkit.jpg
    48-195390-Victortirerepairkit.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 766
   / How to Plug a tire?
Thanks guys,

John is there anything you don't have a picture of?/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ How to Plug a tire? #5  
HI,

When I got my first [and last] front flat, I took it to a tire dealer that does a lot of tractor tire work.

He told me they always patch tires on the inside and don't use plugs. Felt that pluge were not the way to go. I kind of agreed with his reasoning, but can't repeat what he said.

Anyway, I soon had my fronts back to his shop for foam filling. Lots of broken glass in the are of my property where I am working and I decided to avoid the hassle of flats. Cost $ 136 to foam fill the fronts.

The original tire repair cost $14, by the way. Plugs are much cheaper for sure.

I am not sure what I will do if I get a puncture on one of my loaded rear tires. A plug would certainly be tempting there. 23 gallons of windshield wiper fluid in each rear tire.

Good luck...Bill

/ How to Plug a tire? #6  
WARNING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

I used to use mesquite thorns, unless the hole was too big, then I would used a wood screw. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I'm not a bad person, just too lazy to make the trip to Wal-mart. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ How to Plug a tire? #7  
On a car tire I wouldn't use a plug, but no faster than tractors go, they work fine. I plugged a lawn mower tire last night. You have to be careful not to push so hard the whole plug disappears in the hole, like I did last night.

/ How to Plug a tire? #8  
Here's the NAPA version I bought just to keep on hand (my tractor could be way out in the boonies when "it" happens). Haven't had to use it. Yet.
crazy.gif

TirePlugKit.jpg

/ How to Plug a tire? #9  
I like the T handles better - more control - I have both, but seldom use the screwdriver type. I plug tires all the time. Hazard of living in mesquite country - but not steel belted car tires - they need a boot on the inside. The steel "threads" that are exposed keep the plug from making a good glue seal. My mom-in-law has lawnmower tires that must have 8 - 10 plugs in each /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

don't mean to get over - simple here but ... these are the instructions as I'd give my 28 yr old son ...
1. remove nail ( or whatever)
2. use rasp to clean out hole
3. put plug in insertion tool in middle of plug
4. liberally coat plug with glue (this is where it starts
getting messy)
5. insert plug into hole (it should be tight and difficult)
6. if it's easy to insert - then with plug and tool in hole give the tool a twist and try pulling the plug half way out again so you end up with both ends and the middle of the plug on the outside. Otherwise - pull tool out leaving plug in with middle of plug inside and both ends on outside - and cut off excess - let dry for just a minute then air up ---

/ How to Plug a tire?
Mike,

Better simplify it some more, your son has one more year of wordly experience than I do /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif. Seriously, thanks for the tips.