Removing Front Tire

/ Removing Front Tire #1  

RMEADOWS

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1428
My valve stem is slightly rusted, enought to leak, on my front tire. I can't afford a new rim or a service call.

How do I get the tire off the rim so I can sand the valve hole and put a tube in my tire? I guess even better, how do I get the tire back on?

Thanks

/ Removing Front Tire #2  
The good thing Roger is you only have to take the tire half off.

The bad thing is this requires tools that will probably run you at least twenty and maybe as much as forty dollars. A couple of spoons don't go cheap. If you don't have a TSC or something like it plan on the higher price.

The cheapest and easiest route I can suggest is to remove the tire and take it to the local tire shop. For the cost of a tube you can get a new stem installed and your only work will R&R ing the wheel and tire off and on the tractor.

The only time I can see where a tube is better than tubeless would be when there's a small hole in the sidewall of a radial tire. Then a radial tube saves buying a new tire.

Another alternative is Slime or another brand of sealant. They work great on holes smaller than a sixteen penny nail. And you're not going to be able to hurt a dead valve stem./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Removing Front Tire #3  
Easiest way would be to take tire & wheel to a tire shop and have them break it down for you. You probably won't have to completely remove the tire, just break the bead seal on the valve stem side. Here in my neck of the woods you'd get charged 5 dollars at the most.

If you must do it on site, you really need some specialized tools. There's ways to do it without the tools, but it's a hassle. Basically you have to put a lot of pressure on the bead of the tire to break it loose fom the rim. I've heard of guys driving over tires to break them loose, prying with a screwdriver or large chisel, using sledge and flat iron, using FEL and carefully placed wood block. All kinds of ways to break them loose, all kinds of ways to damage tire or wheel. If you do have to remove the tire, you first break it loose on both sides. Then press one of the beads into the center depression of the wheel while you use screwdrivers or tire irons to pry the bead off the wheel rim opposite of where you pressed it into the depression. The depression gives you the room to pry the bead over the edge of the rim. You'll need a compressor with air tank to get the bead reseated afterwards. Personally, I don't see any way it would be easier then having it done.

Dave

/ Removing Front Tire #4  
I agree with Harv. I can certainly describe the process for removing the tire from the rim by hand but the tools you need to do it will cost more than if you take the tire to the tire shop and have them do it.

/ Removing Front Tire #5  
I remove the front tires on my NH1630 with a couple of big screwdrivers, it just takes some time. I do have turf tires on my tractor which would make a big difference if you have ag tires on.

/ Removing Front Tire #6  
The first trick is to get the bead broken down. I've driven on the tire (not the rim!!) but an easier way is to take a bumper jack and jack up the car with the tire under the base. Then use a couple big screwdrivers or rounded crowbars to get the bead off around the rim. Two people make this a lot easier. Or, just take it to the tire store; $10 or so and your in business.