Tractor Tire Repair advice

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
My neighbour has a deep gash about 2 inched long in one of his rear tractor tires. It has not punctured through but it is possible to see the tire cords in the gash. The tire is loaded. Is there any external method or product that could be used to fill the gash. There does not appear to be any air or fluid leakage so he is hoping to just protect the gash from something else penetrating it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bob

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #2  
I am no tire guru, but I would probably thoroughly clean the tear and surrounding area, take some rubber cement or bicycle tire patch glue, spread the crack open a little and fill it. Then, for additional protection, rough up the surrounding area with some sand paper, clean it again and, using the same glue, stick a clean piece of old inner tube over it.

I'm not sure how permanent this would be, but it might keep the crack from getting aggrevated.

Good luck.

- Gerald

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #3  
Not sure what size the tire is...or how bad the gash really is...but one thing he might consider is getting the tire filled with foam.

Not cheap, but neither is a new tire...once foam filled the tire should last "forever."

Not sure if you could run one solid tire and one liquid filled though...

I doubt that there is any easy way to make a permanent repair on the outside of a tire in a gash like that. Been wrong before though...

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #4  
I wonder if a couple of the vulcanizing type patches for inner tubes would work. Although a different 'type' of rubber, it may be hot enough to bond to the outside if cleaned well enough. Would have to finagle a way to keep the pressure on the tin, since you couldn't use the standard clamp. Heavy pressure and plenty of time to cool are the keys for those patches on tubes.

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #5  
Bob, I've had some pretty sorry looking tires on both the rear and front of my tractors. One had gashes, cracks, and a couple of cleats partially torn off. None of these things caused any problem. If your neighbor just wants to fill the gash, I'd use the rubber cement method. Otherwise, I'd just forget about it as long as the fluid doesn't leak out. If the fluid starts to leak, then he needs to think about putting a tube into the casing. You can patch a hole on the inside of the tire and then add a tube. Since tractors don't travel at the speed of autos, you don't have to worry about balance and missing pieces; just traction and holding air/liquid.

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #6  
Didn't we used to call those inside patches "Boots"

Egon

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #7  
By golly, I think you are right. ...of course these days down here in Texas, if you ask for a boot inside your tire, you might get a pair of Justins or Tony Lamas. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #8  
Try gemplers.com. They have a pretty extensive tire repair product line and make a product that replaces chunk rubber using the vulcanizing process. Sounds like this would do the trick. You basically are welding rubber with this process and it has been used to actually replace the rubber cleats on R1 tires, that's how good the bond is. (Actuall melts the rubber together) Sounds like it would work for what you describe.

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #9  
My ford 8n has scary looking tires.. but the innertubes hold air fine. There are many places I can see the nylon cords... but havn't had any problems.

If he is worried about looks, try the rubber cement / innertube patch method.. might not do more than cosmetic fix.. but certantly can't hurt either.

Soundguy

/ Tractor Tire Repair advice #10  
Not sure what size the tire is...or how bad the gash really is...but one thing he might consider is getting the tire filled with foam.

Not cheap, but neither is a new tire...once foam filled the tire should last "forever."

Not sure if you could run one solid tire and one liquid filled though...

I doubt that there is any easy way to make a permanent repair on the outside of a tire in a gash like that. Been wrong before though...

Bill in Pgh, PA

I was in the tire business and how I fixed tractor tires with big holes or cuts was to but a large boot over the damage spot. then take 1/4 stove bolts and drill holes about six inches out from the bad spot and put 8 to 6 or so to hold the boot in place at the same time tying the boot to the wall of the tire. make it like sewing a patch over a hole in a pair of pants. got a 3000 ford that i fixed a tire bach in the 60's and still holding and running. so it can be fixed. foam i dont think so.