Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 870

Default Re: Tractor Tire Repair advice

Don't laugh... and I'm sure no tire expert.... But out of desperation .... after an internal patch that left a gapping hole in the rubber with the patch
    exposed........ I filled it in with Shoe GOO.... and it's held for 2 yrs so far!... good luck!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i'd tube the tire, and if the gash is more than half way thru, and NEW.. see about sectioning it. otherwise a large 6" farm patch on the inside and lace the outside with bailing wire stitches.

don't laugh.. lots of farm tractors wear shoes like this.

i've seen a tire BOLTED together with an external piece of tire as an outter patch..

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by lonesome pine View Post
    I was in the tire business and how I fixed tractor tires with big holes or cuts was to but a large boot over the damage spot. then take 1/4 stove bolts and drill holes about six inches out from the bad spot and put 8 to 6 or so to hold the boot in place at the same time tying the boot to the wall of the tire. make it like sewing a patch over a hole in a pair of pants. got a 3000 ford that i fixed a tire bach in the 60's and still holding and running. so it can be fixed. foam i dont think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by horsechic View Post
    Don't laugh... and I'm sure no tire expert.... But out of desperation .... after an internal patch that left a gapping hole in the rubber with the patch
    exposed........ I filled it in with Shoe GOO.... and it's held for 2 yrs so far!... good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    i'd tube the tire, and if the gash is more than half way thru, and NEW.. see about sectioning it. otherwise a large 6" farm patch on the inside and lace the outside with bailing wire stitches.

don't laugh.. lots of farm tractors wear shoes like this.

i've seen a tire BOLTED together with an external piece of tire as an outter patch..
    All of these things are just what I wanted to hear!
    I have a tire I just gashed.

I've tried 3 different places locally, all say, "Oh, no, that tire is junk. Can't fix that. $400(or up to $600) please for a new one."

I knew there had to be a way to fix it. My dad talked about "vulcanizing" tubes back in the 50's and 60's. But I've read you just about can't find anyone to do that anymore. Maybe a truck recapping place, MAYBE.
    So with a 2" cut all the way through, what are the suggestions?

Thanks
    Dancing Goat Farm
    Southern Indiana
    Mahindra 3215, 111 FEL, 3710 BH
    JD X300 Lawnmower (I refuse to call it a "tractor")
    Ford 600/800 mix-n-match
    IHC A-160

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I think a boot and a tube might hold it but vulcanizing a patch in place will permanently fixit. Dont know if those places are still in business though.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 4x4

That's what I'm finding out Gary.

I think I have some 3/8" (or so) thick conveyor belt. Would a section of that do for a boot?
    Dancing Goat Farm
    Southern Indiana
    Mahindra 3215, 111 FEL, 3710 BH
    JD X300 Lawnmower (I refuse to call it a "tractor")
    Ford 600/800 mix-n-match
    IHC A-160

I would be real careful when trying to seat the tire afterwards. That's usually when it'll see the most stress. May not be high pressure but there's lots of air in their and it will have lots of force behind it.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

Quote Originally Posted by POC

All of these things are just what I wanted to hear!
    I have a tire I just gashed.

I've tried 3 different places locally, all say, "Oh, no, that tire is junk. Can't fix that. $400(or up to $600) please for a new one."

I knew there had to be a way to fix it. My dad talked about "vulcanizing" tubes back in the 50's and 60's. But I've read you just about can't find anyone to do that anymore. Maybe a truck recapping place, MAYBE.
    So with a 2" cut all the way through, what are the suggestions?

Thanks
    There are a few vulcanizing tire repair places still around. If you have a 4x4, rock crawling or off road racing club in your area - I guarantee they will know of someone who repairs tire gashes.

Another option might be to search and or post on one of the off road forums. This would be more of a needle in a haystack approach - finding someone close.

Hope this helps.
    Dean

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

so that 2" gash goes all the way thru?

i'd put a 6" farm patch on the inside of it at run it. with a tube

if it grows.. lace it..

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

I noticed that very few tire shops have any experience with tractor and other machinery tires, probably owing to the fact that many if not most owners of such vehicles tend to fix them on their own. Last I dealt with one such shop about fixing a Trac-Loader front tire on one of my tractors they told me using a patch would affact tire balance and make driving "uncomfortable". Excuse me? This is a tractor we're talking about pal, not a Mercedes-Benz. Even with brand-new tires it barrels down the road at 26 mph with a tail wind, bounces all over the place, throws me 10 inches off my seat when I hit that nasty little hump at the intersection (must be the reason why tractor cabins are so high), and he's concerned about comfortable driving?
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by horsechic View Post
    You should add this to the list of stuff Shoe Goo can fix. You'll find it on their website and it has at least 1,000 entries. Personally I use it to permanently stick components to printed circuit boards that keep coming off in cold temps, ranging from tiny condensers to an 11 lb induction coil on a subwoofer crossover.
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast