Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Tractor Tire Repair advice

Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by lonesome pine View Post
    like I said the shops wants to sell you a tire not repair it. thats more money for them. repair items is a thing of the past just throw it away and buy a nother. that might work for some people but dont always work for everyone. I dont know where you can buy big boots in todays market. when I was fixing tires you could buy any size you wanted up to reliners which is a boot that will go in side of your tire all the way around ends meeting. I have tore down some pretty rough looking tires to patch and they would have reliners in them still rollng
    Tire Repair Accessories, Tire Repair Supplies, - GEMPLER'S

http://www.patchrubber.com/tire_repair/15354.html

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAM...ir-Patch-1EKY2
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

you can still get large boots.

or cut your own from iner tubes.

or use a piece of mud flap with an inner tube covering.

have seen the bolted tire trick too..

Tractor
    John Deere ....

This is all that you need to fill in chunks that have been ripped/torn out. Easy fix for under 7 bucks. And works great. Fill it in with asphalt roof cement from a caulk tube...smooth down....wait for it to dry. It is flexible, so it will work great.
    Shop BLACK JACK 10 oz Cement Roof Coating at Lowes.com
    Good Luck...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by POC View Post
    That's what I'm finding out Gary.

I think I have some 3/8" (or so) thick conveyor belt. Would a section of that do for a boot?
    I used baler belting to make a boot. First I feathered the edges in an attempt to keep the boot from rubbing a hole in the tube.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Rbyrd33, good for you for posting that link for that particular type of neoprene roof cement. We had a flat roof covered with rubber roofing, and that was the only roof cement product I could find that was compatible with rubber roof material. I had great results patching and repairing the roof with this particular product. I think it would be just the ticket for putting in a gash in a tractor tire. As I was reading this thread I started thinking about it and was surprised when I clicked on the link in that post.
    I have a loaded rear tire that got a ragged puncture from a stub of a metal T fence post. The tire shop put a couple of those puncture filling strips in the hole, patched it and put a tube in, and the repair is fine, but it still looks ragged on the outside. Now that you reminded me about that neoprene roof cement, I'm going to fill it in to make it look better and to keep dirt out of it.
    I generally prefer Home Depot to Lowes, but I only found that product at Lowes and HD didn't have a similar product, which was unusual.
    -Jim

Tractor
    John Deere ....

Quote Originally Posted by jimainiac View Post
    Rbyrd33, good for you for posting that link for that particular type of neoprene roof cement. We had a flat roof covered with rubber roofing, and that was the only roof cement product I could find that was compatible with rubber roof material. I had great results patching and repairing the roof with this particular product. I think it would be just the ticket for putting in a gash in a tractor tire. As I was reading this thread I started thinking about it and was surprised when I clicked on the link in that post.
    I have a loaded rear tire that got a ragged puncture from a stub of a metal T fence post. The tire shop put a couple of those puncture filling strips in the hole, patched it and put a tube in, and the repair is fine, but it still looks ragged on the outside. Now that you reminded me about that neoprene roof cement, I'm going to fill it in to make it look better and to keep dirt out of it.
    I generally prefer Home Depot to Lowes, but I only found that product at Lowes and HD didn't have a similar product, which was unusual.
    -------------

Yes, the product works great. It is black so I blends right in. It is flexible which is perfect. And it only cost about 25 cents to repair considering you are only using such a small amount of the product. Sure beats a couple hundred bucks for the tire repair or couple thousand for a new tire. You can smooth it down and it looks great. If you really want to get picky, you can even sand it down to make it flush. Since it is on a tractor tire, there really is no need for the cosmetic look as much as the function of it.
    Good luck with it. It works great for me and the price was right.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234