P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV

/ P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
I need to get a set of four tires for the 2003 Escalade 2WD with tow package and after hours of reading reviews I am confused by what people post. It seems the very same tire is loved by some and hated by some.

At this time the towing needs should be very light so my focus is on safety of the wife and kids driving in rain, deers and snow with snow being quite seldom a concern.

Quite is a plus and wear life is way down the list of important features. 30K miles will get us through two winters. High end Michelin has never gave more than 30K of wear on her Towncar tires. On the first 5 miles of our 15 mile trips to town has about 25 not so small cruves in it and we never seem to leave in time to "Poke" to town. :B

Thanks for any experience.

Any SUV experience out there with matching concerns?

/ P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV #2  
I put some Bridgestone tires on my wifes Commander last year. Her car is AWD and has the capacity for seven people on occasion. The tires appear to have a good construction and came with a 60K mileage warranty. I am like you in that if we get 30k plus from a tire I am happy. Traction, braking, and general safety factors are my primary concerns. They were not the cheapest but not that expensive either.

/ P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV
I put some Bridgestone tires on my wifes Commander last year. Her car is AWD and has the capacity for seven people on occasion. The tires appear to have a good construction and came with a 60K mileage warranty. I am like you in that if we get 30k plus from a tire I am happy. Traction, braking, and general safety factors are my primary concerns. They were not the cheapest but not that expensive either.

Do you remember what line it was and is the noise level pretty low? It sounds like our vehicles are about the same size.
We rented a Commander a few years ago and it was nice. Well we get to go pay the sales taxes on the Escalade ($780) this morning and tag it. Then we will shop for tires. Got insurance coverage this AM too.

/ P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV #4  
According to the business owner where I purchase tires, the Uniroyal Cross Terrain "Laredo" is a excellent lower-cost alternative to the Michelin. For what it is worth, he says that it is constructed of the same materials in the same factory as the Michelin LTX. The treadwear ratings are comparable. I had the Uniroyals on a 06 Silverado 1500 crew-cab and they did well - very good in rain, quiet, good ride. I cannot speak for longevity as I sold the truck before they were worn out. I put approx. 13k on them and they had very little wear. The truck came new w/ Bridgestones and they were a decent tire - about 35k before replacement time.

/ P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV #5  
Fortera TripleTred from Goodyear. An excellent tire, although probably not cheap.

/ P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV #6  
For what it is worth, he says that it is constructed of the same materials in the same factory as the Michelin LTX. The treadwear ratings are comparable.
For what it is worth, I'm getting ready to replace the rear tires on my Sprinter (van) .... I replaced the fronts about 20K miles ago ....

The tires I'm replacing are Michelin LTX M+S ..... the new ones are Michelin LTX A/T2's ....

The rears will have over 170,000 miles on them when they are replaced (fronts had around 150K) ..... and they are still legal.

Hard to beat Michelin. :D

According to the business owner where I purchase tires, the Uniroyal Cross Terrain "Laredo" is a excellent lower-cost alternative to the Michelin. For what it is worth, he says that it is constructed of the same materials in the same factory as the Michelin LTX. The treadwear ratings are comparable. I had the Uniroyals on a 06 Silverado 1500 crew-cab and they did well - very good in rain, quiet, good ride. I cannot speak for longevity as I sold the truck before they were worn out. I put approx. 13k on them and they had very little wear. The truck came new w/ Bridgestones and they were a decent tire - about 35k before replacement time.

I think they have the Uniroyal Laredo now and per paper in the manual they have about 45K miles. I am hope one has a broken belt causing the wamp wamping. It is worse on some roads.

/ P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV #8  
I use the knock-off Wild Country's. They are made by Cooper and Kelly.

I usually get around 35K before they get close to the wear bars...I usually only rotate them once or twice during their life...(I just forget)

For around half the price of name brand tires, these are tough to beat.

I also have 265/70-17.

Fortera TripleTred from Goodyear. An excellent tire, although probably not cheap.

This was my inital choice but after reading about 100 reviews a small number talked about have traction dropped off and noise increased well before they had a lot of wear. It really confused me.

Most were happy but there were a lot that was not. Some it was due to getting 30K and not 60K but then I do not expect more than 30K but i do want good grip and quite tires over most of their life.

The 2WD traction control the Escalade got starting in 2003 is awesome it seems but do want the best traction tires i can find.

/ P265 70 R17 tire options for Large SUV #10  
Check this site for tire specs and reviews:

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

I currently have Bridgestone Dueller AT RHS 265/65/18 on my Silverado Crew. They are NOISY as they become worn and tread life is not that great.

They will be replaced with Michelin LTX M/S 2.

Tires on previous vehicle were Firestone Transforce AT. I thought they wore well, rode quiet and had good traction in all conditions.