Tractor tire swing

/ Tractor tire swing #1  

tower59

Hi, guys. Not sure exactly where this goes, but I have an old tractor tire that I'd like to turn into a giant tire swing. You know the kind- with the tire parallel to the ground. Anyone out there done this with a big tire? Any suggestions? Is it too big for the kids to use? Thanks for any help with this project!

/ Tractor tire swing #2  
Sounds cool! But it might be hard for a kid to stop when it got moving.
Knock somebody down also!! JMO
DAVID,

/ Tractor tire swing #3  
Sounds cool! But it might be hard for a kid to stop when it got moving.
Knock somebody down also!! JMO
DAVID,

Yeah, tractor tires are heavy! Also, the center opening (where the wheel mounts) might be a bit big for a kid who would enjoy swinging.

/ Tractor tire swing #4  
my elementry school had the best playground ever till they tore it down cause if splinters

that one had pee gravel the new one has mulch

but it had a giant tire swing and it was kinda low to the ground and the amount of swing was limited, and they attached threaded i bolts like you might see on some power lines with the threads in side the tire so there were no sharp edges on the out side

wish i had pictures now

/ Tractor tire swing #5  
Hi, guys. Not sure exactly where this goes, but I have an old tractor tire that I'd like to turn into a giant tire swing. You know the kind- with the tire parallel to the ground. Anyone out there done this with a big tire? Any suggestions? Is it too big for the kids to use? Thanks for any help with this project!

You need to put 3 eye bolts evenly spaced in 3 locations around the tire ... a length of chain from each (any length suitable to you) to a swivel and a ring and one chain to the tree branch of choice...

And enjoy !!!

/ Tractor tire swing #6  
Make sure you drill a hole in the bottom of the tire so that rain water will drain out............

/ Tractor tire swing #7  
Make sure you drill a hole in the bottom of the tire so that rain water will drain out............

Just drill 3 holes 120 degrees apart and run a rope through the holes figure 8 knot under it to haul rope.
Drill 3 more hoes on the bottom for drain (you never know were the low spt will be.

My kids had one and loved it!

tom

/ Tractor tire swing #8  
do you tie a figure 8 at each of the top holes or do you weave the rope through them and tie 1 figure8?

/ Tractor tire swing #9  
I spliced 3 lines to one at the top and the 8's were in the tire to make it so I could level it.

tom

/ Tractor tire swing #10  
Growing up, my neighborhood park had one in it's playground. It was big enough for 5 kids to sit in at a time. It was heavy enough that we could not swing it very far, but it was on a heavy swivel mount and we loved using it like a merry-go-round. Everyone would hang on to the chains for dear life as we spun it around on that swivel. :thumbsup: I would not use a fixed bolt or rope to hang it, the twisting would just break that connection.