Tire chains in transit. Can't wait!

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
We've just received our first dusting of snow, just in time for Thanksgiving. We're hosting a bunch of people, so the driveway has to be clear enough for regular cars, not just 4wd trucks. That prompted me to stop my procrastination and order a set of tire chains for my little Ford. I know with the turf tires, I'll be in a world of hurt when the snow gets deep, and I'll need the tractor ready to clear the gravel driveway, which travels diagonally up the hill to the house.

I ordered a set of reinforced European style net tire chains from TireChains.com. These looked like a good fit for my 13.6-16 rears, which are rather wide, and they look like they should give good lateral stability as well as pushing traction. Here's the link: SkidSteer Net Tire Chains

The people at TireChains.com were very helpful, as I couldn't get the on-line ordering process to work, so I called them up to place my order. They were very courteous and pleasant and even apologized for my difficulties with the on-line process.

I'll let you know how the chains work once they arrive.

Joe

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #2  
I got the rear chains for mine from tirechains.com. Got from PA to Oregon in three days and they fit perfect. Put them on and added the tighteners. Done. I would recommend tirechains.com to anyone.

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #3  
Good for you! When I got my first set of chains for my old 2wd tractor I was "BLOWN AWAY" by how well they worked. You will love them. Post pics please!

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #4  
I got a set two weeks ago from a local dealer. They are still sitting on the flor of the garage as it's been too cold to put them on. :laughing:

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #5  
I got a set two weeks ago from a local dealer. They are still sitting on the flor of the garage as it's been too cold to put them on. :laughing:

OK now that's just funny! :laughing::D:laughing:

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #6  
OK now that's just funny! :laughing::D:laughing:

They are heavy, lol. Plus my rear tires are set in the narrow position so I need to swap them around too. Nothing like a good snow storm to get me out there doing what I should have done already. :laughing:

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #7  
Ha ha. You wait, if you are like me, and it kinda seems so, you will be cussin up a storm when you put them on because you left it to the wrong day! ha ha ha, I can totally relate!

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #8  
I bought tire chains and put them on the first time two weeks ago. We haven't had any snow yet but I have been doing some dirt and gravel work with the loader and the extra difference in traction the chains make is bunch.

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #9  
I do have a 2 1/2 ton 4wd dump truck that I have the plow and chains on so it's not like I don't have a back up but yes I'll be a swearing, lol.

/ Tire chains in transit. Can't wait! #10  
They are heavy, lol. Plus my rear tires are set in the narrow position so I need to swap them around too. Nothing like a good snow storm to get me out there doing what I should have done already. :laughing:

Good time to ask a buddy to stop by and help you swap those tires. In fact, while he's there, he can help install those chains.

Haven't installed mine yet either (was on my plan for today, but had to babysit our recently spayed pup instead), but I'll agree...they're heavy!
Well, 4 day weekend is coming up...