Tire spreader

/ Tire spreader #1  

ampa

Gold Member
Can anyone come up with a nice and easy home built tire spreader design :D...either bench mounted or mounted onto tire changer.....I always like to remove my tires and repair them from the inside rather than use unrealiable tire plugs.....thanks in advance Ampa<>

Last edited:
   / Tire spreader #2  
Google-Google, I believe Harbor Freight has one. bjr

/ Tire spreader #3  
I basically copied this design,

the moving side has a short tube that cocks and will lock when the side force is applied, that way different size tires are easily accommodated,
(i set the place to be patched up about 30 degrees from the bottom so when I buff the tire, the crap slides down away from where I am patching,
(I added two angle irons to the base so it is wider than just the tube, and it supports the tire better, (note: there spaced so the movable side can slide and attached to the ends of the tube), do not have time to take and upload a picture of mine but will link to Northern which is similar to the design I used,

and it has a tube that slips over the main shaft in my tire changer,

T-Max Tire Spreader, Model# N13477 | Tire Spreaders | Northern Tool + Equipment

Attachments

• 148813_lg.jpg
    148813_lg.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,142
   / Tire spreader #4  
i feel bad.. I just wedge a piece of 2x4 in mine in a couple places.. :)

soundguy

/ Tire spreader
Hi Soundguy......your design is really quick and simple... like grab an old 2x4 and plug in the ol' miter cut off saw....@ $22 plus change it's hardly worth tryin' to build one....Princess Auto sold these a few years ago....I'm not too sure if they still do.....have to check and see....thanks for the quick reply....glad to see I'm not the only one that don't trust tire plugs...take care Ampa <> :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Tire spreader
Seems Princess Auto "don't" sell them no more.....so I guess for the time bein' I'll use Soundguys simple 2 pieces of 2x4's :D... then gather up some of my old salvaged metal and fire up my little Lincoln 120 volt wire feed and build me one....take care Ampa <> :)

/ Tire spreader #7  
99% of my stuff is tubed tires.. so plugs don't do anything for me.. I have to dismount and patch or repalce the tube, and I always like to clean the insid eof the hole in t he tire casing and stick a patch over it to keep debri from getting in the tire , or the tube getting pinched from the hole in the tire..

I only mess with a few a year.. so the 2 2x4 blocks work.. wedges it open.. I do the quick repair, and then go to remount it..

soundguy

soundguy

/ Tire spreader #9  
yep.. cut to fit!

/ Tire spreader #10  
the nice thing about the tire spreader, is that the inside of the tire has no obstructions, and I use a air powered buffer, and the hose is not hitting on any thing or have to be bent Odd to make it fit in the tire to do the job, and the same for patch positioning, the tire is open up, and free of obstructions, the other thing I Like with mine is the tire is at a convenient working height when one is standing, also in my case the pipe sitting on the spindle of the tire machine I can rotate it to get the best light in the tire to inspect it and the hole area as well as the work I have done on it,