Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Tire Pressures

Maybe a bit off key here , but I understand why they don't have a tire pressure printed on tractor tires. We all seem to run them different pressure due to uses.
    Ive been mounting tires since the 70's. And now with all the hoopty about the sensors for tire pressure, I wonder why the air pressure is still printed so small. I myself use glasses but when I have to use glasses and a magnifier I wondered wy they dont have the number bigger.
    We are supposed to be more concience of this nowadays.
    Is it just me or is this common sence if you wanted to keep them aired up? usually just go with 40 even..with no problems with wearing

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH

Default Re: Tire Pressures

On some of the cars and trucks I have seen, the "recommended tire pressure" is listed on the door sticker along with all the other info now posted there.

My tractor tires have the psi printed on them. (a 2005 model)
    New Holland Workmaster 45 2WD Gear
    Massey Ferguson 240
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Woods BH 70-X Sub-frame Backhoe
    Troybuilt Super Bronco w/42" mower
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller
    Ariens 6.5 HP String Mower
    Husqvarna HU625WT String Mower

3 point hitch attachments:
    single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

30 acres, 15 acres, 5 acres

Printed so small? Well, I agree; small for me anyway. But since I started working on tires in 1956 and didn't have any trouble reading the tire pressures in years past, I thought it was just my age and deteriorating eyesight. In fact, I just recently bought myself a Great Point Lighted Magnifier.
    Bird

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NHtd75

And plus all the above we need to sometimes adjust for the tire condition too. This one actually has air pressure above atmospheric and the trailer it was on was pulled to the auction.

I couldn't see the numbers and I couldn't hear the leak if it had one. And if I were told on TV some idiot would be beating on a 55 gallon drum in the background so I couldn't hear. Come on society, cut us old folks a little slack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tire-model-4-22-10-a  

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Mahindra 4110

The pressure listed on the sidewall of a tire is the max. pressure at the full load rating of that tire. Lets say it says 40 psi cold and the rating is 1750 lbs. Assuming your vehicle has 4 wheels/tires this means that at 40 psi those 4 tires will safely carry a vehicle that weighs 7000 lbs. and the sidewalls will be flexed properly and the tread surface will be in proper contact with the road and sheds heat, water etc.

Now what if your vehicle only weighs 3500 lbs ? They use that size/rating of tire on many,many different weight vehicles. Those sidewalls are going to be too hard and tall, and the tread surface is going to be more convex to the road instead of say flat and the tires are going to ride pretty hard and wear the center of the treads out faster than the edges of the tires. The DOT requires automakers to list what air pressure will give the proper stance etc. for the tires that they use on that particular vehicle - that's what that decal is for and that's what air pressure is ideal for that size/rating of tire that came on the vehicle. One guy's similar Chevy truck may have 500 lbs more weight than the next guy's because of certain options it has and might have a different air pressure listed. Now when you change size/style/rating of tire from the original, that decal may not apply anymore and you have to figure it out some other way. With a tractor tire you simply look at your bar contact pattern for proper stance and/or your specific needs. The air pressure on the sidewall is still a max pressure at rated load for that tire, not necessarily the tractor & tire combo you have.
    2001 Mahindra 4110, FEL w/5' & 6' QA buckets & forks for the 5', 6' Atlas boxblade, older 6' Howse rotary, Leinbach 7300 PHD w/9" & 12", MF 2/3 bottom plow, 20"x6' bog disc, KK subsoiler, KK middlebuster, Kubota BL60C 5' tiller, Maschio 6' finish mower.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH

skipmarcy - Thanks for that explanation. It helps.
    New Holland Workmaster 45 2WD Gear
    Massey Ferguson 240
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Woods BH 70-X Sub-frame Backhoe
    Troybuilt Super Bronco w/42" mower
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller
    Ariens 6.5 HP String Mower
    Husqvarna HU625WT String Mower

3 point hitch attachments:
    single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

30 acres, 15 acres, 5 acres

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

Quote Originally Posted by chopped View Post
    And now with all the hoopty about the sensors for tire pressure, I wonder why the air pressure is still printed so small.
    That's because all this stuff is designed by young whipper-snappers.
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Tractor
    John Deere 2240 MFWD

My complaint is that I carry heavy loads and tow a trailer often. Every time our truck is serviced, we get it back with 20# in the tires. All it takes is a cold day to trigger the pressure alarm.
    Cyril

JD 2240 MFWD (with duels now)
    145 FEL, 8ft Rear blade (now I need a 12ft blade)

Elite Member

but I understand why they don't have a tire pressure printed on tractor tires
    Huh ?, mine do.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chopped View Post
    Ive been mounting tires since the 70's. And now with all the hoopty about the sensors for tire pressure, I wonder why the air pressure is still printed so small.[/I]
    people like you will use whatever device is needed to magnify the small print so they can read it. the person driving their 6000lb crackerbox-on-wheels at 80mph from the mall to the soccer game couldn't be bothered to check their own air pressure if the world was coming to an end - hence the birth of the pressure sensors. i guess the manufacturers figured it would be a waste of time to change the size of the print anyways.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast