Tire Bead Seating ?

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
While out in the woods I dislodged the valve stem on a 7.2 X 16 front ag tire.
I reseated the valve stem and it appears undamaged. Now I have to inflate the sucker. The temperature is 10F and it is mighty stiff. The axle is blocked up so the tire is off the ground. I have a portable 8 gallon compressor and generator. My question is: Do I have any reasonable chance to reseat the bead ? Or should I just bring it somewhere ? Any tips will be appreciated.
( I already know about the ether method - would rather not use it )
Thanks

gg

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #2  
I've never tried this myself and I am not recommending it but I have heard that it works on most tires...wd 40 is not as volatile as either

[youtube_browser]iSDPHjo1zRU[/youtube_browser]

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #3  
I'd take a tension strap to wrap around the tire to entice the beads more into alignment. Soon as the beads pop in place, remove the strap though. I've had to use this on my fronts and also on the small tubeless tires on my dolly.

I finally had to put tubes in my tractor fronts. Even with Slime in them, they wouldn't stay up. Been up ever since with tubes in there.

The ether method sounds like a good way to injure yourself. I've limped my tractor back to the garage a couple times (before tubes were installed) with one front tire having one bead completely off. You can do this if you don't have to turn much.

Ralph

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #4  
You can use a ratchet strap around the outside to spread the bead to the rim.

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #5  
You can use a ratchet strap around the outside to spread the bead to the rim.
+1 Had to do that to a hd trailer tire just yesterday. Just be careful releasing it after you have the bead set and the tire accepting air.

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #6  
Hello Gordon,

Be sure to:

1. Stand to the side when inflating the tire.

2.Remove the valve core when you reinflate it as the bead will seat faster then you can reinstall the core after the bead it seated.

What I have done on my ag tires for my tiller is create a tournequete using nylon rope and using a wooden stick as the means for twisting force if you can bring a bottle of soapy water that will help with seating both of the tire beads a great deal.

I wou;d also invest in a pair of short metal valve stems for your front tractor tires. A large volume tire dealer will have these in stock.

:thumbsup:

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #7  
I had a front tire go flat about a month ago. I noticed the pressure was low and before I made it back to the garage the tire spun on the rim (was in 4wd) and just like that the rest of the air was gone. I slowly drove it back and tired seating it myself with no luck (I didn't try too hard though). The lugs on the tire, AG, and the narrow width made the strap a no go (I even tried a rope with a pipe).

I had to run to Morrisville anyway so I just went a tire shop and for $8 (maybe it was $6) they seated it. They even put a new valve stem in. If it was a rear tire I would have tried harder but the front tire fit in the trunk of the Subaru so it was no big deal. If you do bring the tire somewhere in the trunk of a car that you like make sure you have a plastic bag or towel to put down. They tend to use a fair bit of soap.

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #8  
If you think this will be a regular occurrence, I recommend spending the money for one of these.

CH5.jpg

I have seated some big tire beads with one.

Brian

/ Tire Bead Seating ? #9  
I have had success with old bicycle tubes... try a 12" or 16" to fill the gap between the tire and the rim... If you do it right, the tire will push the tube out when it seals on the safety rim... Once the tire is starting on the rim, pull the tube out... I did it years ago on a tire that would not seal even with a band around it. Maybe I was just lucky, but worth a try....

/ Tire Bead Seating ?
Well I limped the tractor back to the garage. I was concerned about doing that but RalphVa gave me some confidence. It was a snow road and the rim never even touched. I feel better now that it is out of the woods. Have some honey-dos to take care of so I will tackle it in the morning. You guys have given me a lot of good ideas. Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

gg