tire slips on rim

/ tire slips on rim #1  

herbenus

Gold Member
Tractor
99 JD4200 4WD Collarshift
I've been picking up some heavy loads of wet sand with FEL lately and noticed a spinning sound up front when backing up and going nowhere. I can't see what's happening but I think left wheel is actually spinning inside the tire, with tire firmly anchored in sand. Can this happen? It seems to still hold air. At first I thought I had a front end problem.

Some background. JD4200 collarshift 4WD. I had to change one front tire out to an ag type when I had a flat with side wall rip one weekend with two loads of limestone blocking my driveway. The ag was all I could find quick. So I hav an ag on left and old industrial on right. I'll replace both one day. I'm thinking the ag is probably not rated for loader work though. I didn't realize it might matter at time, but didn't have much choice. When I pick up load I'm at an incline so extra weight is on front.

I was planning on putting slime in fronts. I wonder if this would help or hurt slipping.

/ tire slips on rim #2  
seen it happen on new Kub m6800 with the huge turfs and small rims. maybe left over lube from tire mounting. Try deflating and cleaning bead with solvent.

/ tire slips on rim #3  
I spun a rear on my B7500 last Summer. I was running 7#, and it apparently wasn't quite enough for the traction/load at the time. Never had trouble at 10# or better. Tires are 12-16.5 R4's...................chim

/ tire slips on rim #4  
That ag tire is taller than the industrial. You are putting an unnecessary strain on your front end spider gears by running two different tire sizes. You're probably not doing your front end drive gears in the transmission any favors, either. The reason the tire is spinning is that the taller ag tire is doing all the work. You are basically dragging around and fighting that shorter, less tractive industrial tire.

/ tire slips on rim #5  
you need to get those front tires to be the same and also matched to the rear tires. you are not doing your tractor anygood running that way.

/ tire slips on rim #6  
If the R4 is offering less traction and the R1 is doing all the work, why does the R4 not simply spin on the surface while the R1 stays put? Does this little tractor have posi traction or lockable front axle? I think a lack of air pressure is the problem. On my tractor, I would hesitate to use R1's on the front simply because they have no where near the load capacity of the R4's. Remember, you need to make sure and match the front and rear diameters of your tractors tires to the specs called for. To much lead or lag and you have rotating ratios that will force the fronts to slip all the time eventually wearing out the tires and putting unnecessary strain on your drive componets. Rat...

/ tire slips on rim #7  
The rim profile for the industrials may be different than for the ag which could add to the slipping problem. Yeah, best to get a matched set of tires up there and make sure the rims are compatible with the tires you get /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ tire slips on rim #8  
Ag's will squish down but they will hold the weight. If the tires are inflated properly the tires will be ok and the rims will stay off the ground. Plus you will have a lot better traction. R-4's are great if you are working on pavement or your lawn but if you are working in mud you might as well park the tractor till things dry out because the only thing that gets done is a muddy mess and a lot of spinning.

/ tire slips on rim #9  
No doubt. The more clay in the soil, the worse the R4's get. I'm on pretty much all slopes and with wet soil, I can't keep the R4's on the hill. The R1's do a much better job holding the tractor on the slopes.
With a bucket heaped, even at full pressure the R1's on my L4850 get quite "flat". Its hard to turn with such a distorted tire. The complete opposoite of the R4's which don't look any different with 5000+lbs on them as when I have an empty bucket. The power steering on my L48 works as easy with a heaped bucket as empty as hard as that is to believe, its got a superb power steering setup. If you need traction, you can't beat the R1's, load ability or not.

/ tire slips on rim #10  
"If the R4 is offering less traction and the R1 is doing all the work, why does the R4 not simply spin on the surface while the R1 stays put? "

I think that's his problem. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif