Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310

/ Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #1  

Green4310TLB

Tractor
Deere 4310
I have a JD 4310 with loader and backhoe, been trying to move snow and decided on tire chains after sliding around all winter. Chains rub on the fender and brake rod under tractor. Tires are R4's on 15x19.5 rims - 6 bolt on 6" diameter bolt circle.
So... Since no one makes affordable ones, I am going to make a set myself (best price I found was $350). Local tool shop will do the work, I gave them a good print. Spacers will move rear tires out 2.25" just enough to clear the chains. Would any one else be interested in a set? Price is $250 ( plus shipping.), this just covers the costs to the shop - I'm not making anything. Should fit any JD with that rim size, such as 4010 series, 3203 series. Thanks

/ Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #2  
I have a JD 4310 with loader and backhoe, been trying to move snow and decided on tire chains after sliding around all winter. Chains rub on the fender and brake rod under tractor. Tires are R4's on 15x19.5 rims - 6 bolt on 6" diameter bolt circle.
So... Since no one makes affordable ones, I am going to make a set myself (best price I found was $350). Local tool shop will do the work, I gave them a good print. Spacers will move rear tires out 2.25" just enough to clear the chains. Would any one else be interested in a set? Price is $250 ( plus shipping.), this just covers the costs to the shop - I'm not making anything. Should fit any JD with that rim size, such as 4010 series, 3203 series. Thanks

Just flip them, I did mine and there is plenty of clearance. Same tractor and same wheels/tires.

No need for spacers.

JB.

Attachments

• DSC03948.jpg
    DSC03948.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 675
   / Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #3  
I flipped mine around as well, and made chains that have longer side chain and shorter cross chains. They fit higher on the tire and thus give more clearance. And a key here is that they "fit" the tire. :)

I'd go with the spacers only to add wider stance to the tractor.

Attachments

• Tire_chains.JPG
    Tire_chains.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 862
   / Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310
Guys, Thanks for the tip. When I asked the dealer about that, they said because the rims are not adjustable it really does not change the spacing. You guys are doing it so it must work. I've not been in to the compacts for very long, usually work with big farm tractors.
Thats is a nice setup with front and rear blades with chains on all four. Do you run it in 4wd that way? Thanks

/ Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #5  
Guys, Thanks for the tip. When I asked the dealer about that, they said because the rims are not adjustable it really does not change the spacing. You guys are doing it so it must work. I've not been in to the compacts for very long, usually work with big farm tractors.
Thats is a nice setup with front and rear blades with chains on all four. Do you run it in 4wd that way? Thanks

Well I said there's plenty of room, I should of said there is enough room.

You do only gain 2-3 inches, but it is enough room for chains. Flip them side to side of course so you maintain the directional tread.

As far as 4X4 goes, the short answer is yes, most of the time I'm plowing snow I'm in 4X4.

JB

/ Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #6  

FYI - I got 2-link ladder bar chains for my L4200 (w/ turfs) this year from tirechain.com. The use 3/8" chain (local guys use 5/16") and are $315+shipping (local guys cost $475). 4-linkers are $175 from tirechain and were $275 from the local guys. Anyway, after paying your shop you still have to buy chain - I don't know what 160# of chain costs, but it's definitely not free. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you call around then take into account your additional time and effort.

JayC

/ Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #7  
By swapping the rear tires (in my case, with turfs, I could reverse them), you can get quite adequate clearance for chains.
The chains are the 4-link ladder type from tirechains.com.
See the "Before" and "After" pics below:

Attachments

• 4400 Narrow.jpg
    4400 Narrow.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 534
  • 4400 Reversed Rears with Chains_B.jpg
    4400 Reversed Rears with Chains_B.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 835
   / Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #8  
On the R-4's, one will gain about an inch or inch and a half by reversing the tires/rims.

Altogether different wheel with the turfs and Ag's.

/ Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #9  
On the R-4's, one will gain about an inch or inch and a half by reversing the tires/rims.

Altogether different wheel with the turfs and Ag's.

Depends on how deep they're dished. When I measured my 790's rear wheels (tires were 15-19.5...pretty common R-4 size for Deere CUTs), I calculated 2" per side.
I could be comparing apples to oranges, but it's worth measuring the dish before using spacers. Just MHO...

/ Wheel spacers to allow Tire Chains on 4310 #10  
Caution:

If you're going to shorten your cross chains (width) and then lengthen the side chain to "raise" the side chain closer to the tire shoulder two things can happen.

1. As the chain moves it will tend to try to peel itself off the tire.

2. Additional torque on the chain could cause premature wear and failure.

The side chain is supposed to rest on the tire sidewall. Correct fitment allows the chain to move and sit properly on the tire. A chain that is too wide or too narrow will tend to give you some headaches down the road.

BTW...nice tip on the wheel reversal.

Brian
Ken Jones Tires