Tire loading

/ Tire loading #31  
4570Forever: (Is that your address or a black powder rifle caliber?)

I can't help you directly with how much weight the liquid would add, but if you do a search for "loading tires" or "filling tires," I am sure you will find a lot of information. I seem to remember at least one thread where someone posted the weights for various tire fillers - liquid and foam.

With horses and 40 acres, I don't know how you get by without a FEL. We have 19 acres and 2 to 4 horses, and the FEL is the most useful implement I have (other than the wife - they're her horses /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

/ Tire loading #32  
Try this site for info on weight of tire

web page

then go to Techniacal Info then to Tractor Tire Liquid Ballasting

example

size 14.9-28 - 53 gallons = 442 pounds

Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tire loading #33  
I used my 12volt pump off my atv sprayer. Worked great. I got used antifreeze for free from a local dealer. I dont think glycol will hurt your tubes or tires. It's in your engine.

/ Tire loading #34  
99% of you guys don't farm. We do. We don't load tires on tillage tractors, we just put on duals. I could go into the pro's and con's of filling tires and the ratio of compaction verses filled and unfilled but you guys are not row cropping so it's not germane.

My opinion as a farmer, forage grower is this:
I don't like filled tires. I would put on external weights. Most of you will probably use your tractors to mow lawns and filled tires will leave a footprint. I have read pro's and con's of using calcium chloride and I will tell you that it is corrosive and tubes must be used. Most tractors today have tubeless tires. By the time you install a tube and the filling stem, you could have put on external weights. The external weights give you the option of reducing the wight of the tractor if conditions require it. Loading tires will not.
I also presume that 99% of you people have small tractors. Let me state this: A larger tractor tire that is loaded will be so heavy, that if you dismount it and it is not kept in a vertical position, you will probably need a hoist to pick it back up, or risk getting a hernia.

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.

/ Tire loading #35  
Daryl,

I agree.
Mine are not filled for two reasons. 1) a 16x32 filled with liquid would be he&* to change to say the least.
2) Thorns. If I filled the tires I would end up with lots of flats. See reason number 1.

Guys be careful with the antifreeze. Ethylene glycol is posion. The very bad news is it's sweat tasting so animals love it. Get a flat and your dog as well as any wild life or stock is in trouble.

Fred

/ Tire loading #36  
HI,

If one were sure that he wanted to fill his tires, another option is to foam fill them.

They will still be heavy, but they will NEVER leak and punctures can be forgetten about. My fronts are foam filled and should I get punctures on the rear I might just replace the ww fluid that I have in them with foam.

Now my B2910 is not that big...so it would not be THAT expensive to foam fill the rears [about $500 for the pair].

I agree...I would hate to deal with a large filled tire if it fell on its side. ESPECIALLY if I happend to find part of me under it !

/ Tire loading #37  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A larger tractor tire that is loaded will be so heavy )</font>

Now that's a fact. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Several years ago a neighbor had a punctured rear tire on his 85hp Oliver. The tractor was over 20 years old when he bought it and he didn't know it had calcium in the tires until he punctured one. We took it off together, and I loaded it into a trailer for him with the FEL on my B7100. No way the B7100 FEL was going to pick it completely up, but with a little careful maneuvering, I half lifted and half rolled and slid it onto the trailer for him to take to town and get it repaired. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Tire loading #38  
If you want to fill tires for weight, use the cal cloride or the beet juice. They are heavier than water. Antifreeze, washer fluid, or the like are very bad for the enviornment & living beings, and are lighter than water. Also there is heck to pay if you contaminate good CC with some of that other stuff. My tire changer would _not be happy about it.

As a farmer, most 85 hp utility tractors need the fluid all the way around. The big tillage tractors don't, but they need to be properly balanced front to rear.

You do not need tubes for CC. My '77 tractor doesn't have tubes, and has had CC in all 4 from the dealer. You need oxygen to make the rust.

I realize there are many opinions on this, just offering mine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ Tire loading #39  
I've read several discussions in this and other sites about tire fill. No advocates been heard from on this exotic fluid: pure water.
At 8.33 lbs/gal, it supplies a lot of weight. Do you really need to add CaCl2, various alcohols, or sugar to bump the weight up even more? No more discussion of rust, environmental, poisoning, etc. At 75% fill of a large R1 or R4 rear tire, you're looking at several hundred lbs. More than most users need (take 3050's advise on the down-side of fixing a filled tire).
Did try CaCl2 on a JD345, and hated the oozing of rusty water out of one of the tires. Today, I use 2x110 wheel weights on both sides, plus a heavy 3ph implement, when I want to load up the FEL.
jim

/ Tire loading #40  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No advocates been heard from on this exotic fluid: pure water. )</font>

I think the reason most of us from north Georgia on up use an additive to water is the freezing point of water is 32 degrees. If it freezes, the liquid wont stay below the axle and will throw the tractor off balance.

Mark