Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal?

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal? #1  

Green Acres rAf

Tractor
Satoh S-650 (T.S.No 305206)
Hello,

I tried a search and cannot find answers to my question. Figured this was the spot to post. Thanks for the help.

My project: I cleared my lot and will be "preping" (grading, leveling, raking, disc...basically working the land) for lawn seed/landscaping this upcoming fall...my tractor's rear tire size is 11.2 x 24. I have R3 (turf style tires --they look like diamonds or a diamond pattern). When I get them in the mud, they fill up with mud and become slicks. Pretty much ends my work day...I rock the tractor with fwd and reverse to get unstuck...what a huge pain...I end up shutting down and trying again later in the week when the ground dries up, but then it rains again!!!!!! While I sit there, upset I cannot help and think, "how do the construction guys do it? They can't sit and come back another day...time is wasting!!!" So I started looking at tires... after hours of research I now know a lot about tractor tires...I also know that they are EXPENSIVE. I will keep my R3s for the future when the project is finished, but for the current state of my muddy mess, I want to upgrade to R1 type tires (AG or Bar style tires) for better traction, but I don't want to invest $800+ for a set that will be replaced in two years (back to my old R3s) when the project is over

I looked into adding chains to supplement the "bite" to my R3s...they too are EXPENSIVE and I didn't know if that would even work...so I looked at used stuff on craigs list and ebay... I found another possible solution, but not sure if it is "the" right solution...thus my quest for answers. The possible issue is that the tire size is a 9.5 x 24. The wheel (rim) size is the same and I know that the smaller tire is 2" thinner and not as tall as my 11.2s, but the tires are super aggresive and the price is SUPER right...will these work? Can one downgrade in tire size? Will this cause "other" issues that I am unaware of? I cannot get a solid yes or no answer...:confused:

They will fit my tractor as I have taken measurements (I have seen these in person and touched this set; they are practically brand new for $300 for both tires and wheels...even has wheel weights) Before I go and hand over money I wanted to double check with you all.... any thoughts????

Option One: Spend the money and get the right size 11.2 x 24 R1 tires (least favorite option as it is the most expensive)

Option Two: Get chains for your current R3 setup (cost is roughly $350-$450 for the set)

Option Three: Go with the smaller/skinnier 9.5 x 24 tires and rock them out... sell them once project is finished. (Most favorite and hoping this is it :D)

Thanks again,

Raf

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal? #2  
Hello
If the tractor isn't 4x4 you wont have any problems.

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal?
Hello
If the tractor isn't 4x4 you wont have any problems.

Hi Just Bill...Thanks for your reply.

No, my ol girl is a 2wd. Sometimes I wished she was 4x4 because of my getting stuck situation, but I really think that upgrading to the more aggressive tire I will be OK and see a real performance difference.

Agree?

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Raf

By the way.... why would it be a problem with 4wd? More for my own knowledge. Thanks.

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal? #4  
You have to keep the right rear to front tire size ratio because of the
gearing.

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal? #6  
bp fick,
Did you miss the OP asked why 4x4 would make a difference just for knowledge?

Green acres,
How muddy is the area you are working on? Sometimes contractors do have to wait for better weather. Be aware that R1 tires can spin too, when they do you bury the wheels quickly.

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal? #7  
Hi Just Bill...Thanks for your reply.

No, my ol girl is a 2wd. Sometimes I wished she was 4x4 because of my getting stuck situation, but I really think that upgrading to the more aggressive tire I will be OK and see a real performance difference.

Agree?

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Raf

By the way.... why would it be a problem with 4wd? More for my own knowledge. Thanks.

There is a thing called drag ratio. It is basically how much the front whees are lagging behind or ahead of the rearwheels. When changing tire sizes on 4wd tractors this is very important. If the drag is not right you can cause alot of damage.

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal? #8  
I have changed many times over the years in both 2WD and 4WD and had 100% excellent resuts.
Kubota, for example used to offer a dizzying array of tire size choices so I figured "me too".

As noted and to anyone ever reading this, if you change 4WD fronts and rears, they must be matched or you will ruin the front axle gearbox.
Manufacturers give the "axle ratio" but tire shops have books of data.
Double check on your own with the formuala in my earlier post or look up Firestone Company Tire Data on doing the math.
I have written about this before so do a search. Basically, in 4WD the front end pulls the rear by a few percent.
My 2WD and 4WD tire changes all worked great and it's the only way to get what you want.

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal? #9  
There is a thing called drag ratio. It is basically how much the front whees are lagging behind or ahead of the rearwheels. When changing tire sizes on 4wd tractors this is very important. If the drag is not right you can cause alot of damage.

We call it overrun. The front tires should turn a little faster than the rears (positive overrun). No more than 5%. I've found 1-2% best for smooth engage/disengage and proper tire wear.

/ Tire size change??? Good, BAD or no big deal? #10  
Just a thought but would rear chains help the OP???? That's cheaper than buying a new set of ag tires.