I plugged my calcium filled tire.

/ I plugged my calcium filled tire. #1  

davygp38

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
I was searching the posts for info about plugging the Rear filled tire on my L4400, but as usual, after about 30 minutes I gave up, and since I did not want to loose the calcium chloride, or have to take it to a tire shop, I plugged it. First thing I did was spin the tire, so the leak was at the very top (12 O'clock) of the wheel. I used the outriggers on the BH to raise it up, (reduce the pressure,) and I plugged it. I have no idea if it will hold over the long run, but the leak has stopped. I was wondering if anyone has had to do similar, and if it worked out for you?:eek:

/ I plugged my calcium filled tire. #2  
Havent done a tractor tire but I plug our pickup and car tires quite often with good results.

/ I plugged my calcium filled tire. #3  
Did you have a tube in the tire? (look at the valve stem, if it has a ring, it has a tube) if so now it is leaking between the tube and the tire which means it is rusting the rim if it is really calcium solution. if there was never a tube, it is still rusting your rim, just like it was doing before the leak. The plug will probably hold just fine. but the rust, well that is another thing. With the tube the solution was never touching your rim, but now its different. I would get it pumped out, demounted washed out, dried, inspected, and filled with a non corrosive ballast. But thats just me..

James K0UA

/ I plugged my calcium filled tire. #4  
Did you have a tube in the tire? (look at the valve stem, if it has a ring, it has a tube) if so now it is leaking between the tube and the tire which means it is rusting the rim if it is really calcium solution. if there was never a tube, it is still rusting your rim, just like it was doing before the leak. The plug will probably hold just fine. but the rust, well that is another thing. With the tube the solution was never touching your rim, but now its different. I would get it pumped out, demounted washed out, dried, inspected, and filled with a non corrosive ballast. But thats just me..

James K0UA

X2 :thumbsup: Calcl is not something to mess with on your tractor rims. IF you had a hole in tire it must've went thru to tube as well. It's rare to find tractor with no tubes and loaded with cacl. I'm sorry to say, but its time to take it off and have someone fix it or do it yourself. If you don't your rims will rust out with pin holes from cacl and you will have bigger expense to go with.

/ I plugged my calcium filled tire. #5  
I agree with the rest. Get that calcium chloride away from your exposed inside rim surface asap. Rims are expensive to replace. Ken Sweet

/ I plugged my calcium filled tire. #6  
when running ballasted tires.. I prefer to use a tube as well.

soundguy

/ I plugged my calcium filled tire.
Called the dealer. He said the tire is filled with a product called citrex. It is a tubeless tire. I told him that I have the bill of sale right here, and it says Calcium Chloride, he said it is calcium chloride, but with something to make it non corrosive. I'll look into it.

/ I plugged my calcium filled tire. #8  
I've had good success plugging the front tire (R-4) that picked up a nail (also have plugged car tires). Haven't had to plug a rear yet but I don't see any problem if the hole isn't too large. Fix a flat works as well and is water soluble for easy cleanup if you have to dismount the tire.