calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix?

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix? #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
hoping this is an easy one for those in the know!! :)

We have a 13.6-28 rear tire on our IH B414. It is calcium filled and goes flat. seems to leak in/around the valve. These are not quite the same as a car tire valve. How do we replace the valve? will all the liquid and calcium spew out when we remove the valve?

shouldn't I just be able to air this back up? how hard is it to repair tractor flats? can I plug it? I'm guessing tractor/tire shop would be very pricey to fix a flat.

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix? #2  
The rear tires on my JD 820 are calcium loaded. I've had leaks repaired twice. Once it required a new tube and the other time it was a new valve stem. IMHO, you don't want to mess with this job unless you have the right equipment and know-how. If the tires are loaded with calcium, then there should be tubes, because I've never heard of tubeless calcium loaded tires, as the calcium will corrode the unprotected rims.

My suggestion would be to call a reliable ag/commercial tire service and have the tire professionally repaired. It's going to cost you, but in the long run it will save you a lot of time and trouble.

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix?
**ALAS*** SIGH**** I phoned around before I read your reply and you are correct. Sounds like my tube is torn and calcium is seeping past and leaking out valve. And it ain't cheap to fix either. :( so we'll see what it's like to remove and put on a trailer.

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix? #4  
**ALAS*** SIGH**** I phoned around before I read your reply and you are correct. Sounds like my tube is torn and calcium is seeping past and leaking out valve. And it ain't cheap to fix either. :( so we'll see what it's like to remove and put on a trailer.

Give the local tire dealer a call and ask what it would cost for a service truck to do it onsite. I have found they are reasonable. Also it is safer and more convenient to have them messing with heavy tires.

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix? #5  
The tire is actually easier to repair when on the tractor. Give them the chance to come out an fix or you take tractor into them.

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix? #6  
wash and clean the rim out too.. if bare metal.. repaint before putting back together. i like epoxy paint on the inside of rims that use tubes and ballast.

soundguy

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix? #7  
I have had one of each. The valve core leaking is an easy fix. Position the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position on level ground and jack up that wheel. This will take the pressure off the tire. Let the air out and carefully replace the core making sure to have a firm hold on the base of the valve itself when you remove the old one and tighten the new one. The rule of thumb for air pressure told to me by a tire mechanic is .5 lb. for every inch of diameter of your tire. If it is leaking around the valve stem then have a good tire shop do it as outlined in previous posts. It is not cheap but is a necessary repair.

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix? #8  
wash and clean the rim out too.. if bare metal.. repaint before putting back together. i like epoxy paint on the inside of rims that use tubes and ballast.

soundguy
That is why after several repair jobs I decided to do it myself. When someone is there to fix your tire you don't have a chance to clean and paint and bang dings out of the rim.
Well, that plus the price.

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix?
mobile repair call out is $100 plus the other fees (about another $100).

The tire shop told me they'd break the bead and look at the tube to see if it could be repaired. How can they do that when it's still on the tractor?

my son teflon taped the valve (or probably the valve stem threads the cap goes over??) and now it seems to hold air. But I still think the torn tube with liquid seeping past makes sense. the teflon is probably just helping keep it all in.

/ calcium filled tire; valve leak: how fix? #10  
$250 was about the average for me for getting the tube patched. Any chance you ran over a nail?