Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Another tire chain post: \"Roller\" tire chains

I was talking to my dealer about chains. He recommended "roller" chains. They are ladder chains set up so that the cross links swivel allowing the chains wear evenly. Anybody heard of these or used them?

I think I want the duo-grips from tirechains.com I asked my dealer if they sold them, he is checking on it.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #3  
Re: Another tire chain post: \"Roller\" tire chains

On all our JD equip, we use St. Pierre rollers. When I worked the highway dep't, we also used St. Pierre rollers on all trucks. They are a much better chain to use, both for traction as needed and basic wear and tear on the chains and tires. If you get the outer connecting link wrong, you can have a problem. Overall best designed chain for the money and well worth it.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #4  

Being a Central Mass Guy, I immediately recognized 'Ken Jones Tire' and got to thinking. As I suspected, Ken Jones is selling the chains made in Worcester, MA by:

St.Pierre Manufacturing Corporation
317 East Mountain Street
Worcester, MA 01606
United States

Phone: 508-853-8010
Fax: 508-853-3860

email: info@stpierreusa.com

I know St. Pierre sells direct, we used to buy chain there, and my friend gets his tire chains there. Give them a call and see if you can save some $$ ... maybe not.

I don't want to discredit Ken Jones Tire. I my opinion they're one of the best. They got my old JD 3010 back on it's tires several times.

Good Luck

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #5  

Hazmat,

I don't know. In the end they are still ladder type versu the duo grip design. I have 2-link ladder chains from tirechains.com. They work pretty good.

I looked at that web site and it seems like these chains are mainly used on road vehicles. I wonder how much they would rotate anyway with half of the chain down in the lug of my R4 tires. Maybe they would work better on turff tires.

As far as wear goes, again, I don't know. but there is only so much chain to wear away. Does it matter if it wears from two sides or only one on a tractor? Got me...but my gut says it doesn't.

I would have bought the duo grip style chains for my tractor if they were available for my tire size, but they wern't. So I had no choice but to go with the cross chains.

If you are looking for traction on ice and in mud, my guess is that the duo grips will be much better. That is the impression I get from reading past posts here...

Good luck in your decision!

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #6  

all of our machines, all JD loaders/backhoes, have R4 tires and all these rollers work well. You wouldn't think they would, but they do, and roll as designed. Great traction too.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #7  

Hazmat,
I forgot to tell you, St. Pierre is real easy to get to and they love it when people come by to see thier operation. "Henry" the owner takes great pride in his factory, and also slees lots of other little trinkets (ie) various steel hooks, chains, tie downs and a lot more.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #8  

I have the duo V bar on the back and ladder V bar on the front. I have no problem ascending 25% grades of sheer ice(can't be walked on). Even just the fronts are pretty good. However, the ride is so rough that I never leave low gear, and (read bonus) I can spread straight sand in my spreader without an agitator! I just turn the spreader on and speed up!

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains

Thanks for the info guys,

Lamarbur or TC35D, have either of you tried the duo grip (tirechains.com) ?

My dealer quoted me $177 for the squre cut Roller-grip chains. He thinks it was 2-link spacing but is checking on it. With shipping, the Duo grips are the same price.

/ Another tire chain post: "Roller" tire chains #10  

Hazmat, I don't run chains.

The only problem I have is climbing up out of my underground tractor bunker ( basement garage ). If its icy, I just raise the bucket to load the rear wheels and creep along. The other trick is running up the hill a few times when the snow / slush is soft and letting it freeze. Kinda makes a washboard effect for traction.

If it gets too slick, the tractor stays in and I let my friend clean up with his plow truck / sander.