Flat tire repair

/ Flat tire repair #1  

redsox1

Silver Member
Tractor
L3800 HST
Today I got a flat front tire on my Kubota L3800. I can't find any sign of a puncture and think that I might have just popped the bead on the rim. Using the FEl I've tried using various amounts of lift to change the amount of pressure and deformation on the flat tire while at the same time trying to reinflate. No luck, the bead around the rim is just too sloppy and won't hold air long enough to reinflate. I've had the same issue w/ smaller tires (i.e. wheelbarrow) and was able to wrap a rope around the tire to apply pressure evenly around the tire so that it would bulge out evenly and reseat the rim bead long enough to get air in. This tire is obviously a much more difficult problem. Any suggestions short of rmoving the tire and taking it somewhere for repair?

/ Flat tire repair #2  
I use a tie down strap with the winch on it. Does a much better job than a rope. Be sure to take the valve stem out when giving it a shot of air.

/ Flat tire repair #4  
I also use wratcheting tie down

I'm thinking pulling out the stem allows for more volume of air to get in quickly

Good luck

Joel

/ Flat tire repair #6  
I've used the ratchet straps instead of a rope, and once in an emergency away from home, large amounts of thick (like wheel bearing) grease.

/ Flat tire repair #7  
Leave the valve stem in, take the valve CORE out. This will allow for a higher volume of air to get in the tire very quickly to seat the bead. The valve CORE screws into the valve stem.
Good luck,
Ken

/ Flat tire repair
Success! Good tip on the ratcheting tie down, I would have never thought of using that. After a couple of attempts I got the tire to hold air but could still hear some hissing from the bead. Drove the tractor down the driveway and hit a few bumps to seat it better. No hissing sound now, I've made note of the tire pressure so I'll keep my fingers crossed and check it tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone's two cents. I owe you one.

/ Flat tire repair #10  
There are tire bead expanders made like a strap that have a tube of sorts built in. Take the slack out like a ratchet strap, and air up the bladder and then air up the tire. To release, just let the air out of the bladder on the strap. You don't get the pop that a ratchet strap gives you when you release the ratchet.
David from jax