Half a heavy equipment tire as plow...

/ Half a heavy equipment tire as plow... #1  

wetstuff

Silver Member
Tractor
J-D 1070, Furgeson F-40
I was lurking around YouTube and saw a company that basically made a steel frame to contain half a very large tire to act as a box blade.

‪Big A** Tire (B.A.T.) Tractor Configuration‬‏ - YouTube

Am I correct that about the only thing wrong for Joe Average use is; you cannot angle it?

I love the thought of a softer edge .. with about 1,000' of gravel lane. But would I not be making lots mini diversions off the shoulder attempting to dump this? ..just a thought.

Jim

/ Half a heavy equipment tire as plow... #2  
It doesn't seem to angle. In that case, you would have to use it like a loader bucket, and overlap more than a plow would.

/ Half a heavy equipment tire as plow...
Thanks for the link bcp.. I have a perfectly good Meyers setup for my 4WD Deere .. but that 3-point, rear drag gives me an idea. I have the shell/frame of 5' bush hog that might sit nicely atop one of these tires...

I do not think I will be so lucky to find 1/2 of one of these sitting on the shoulder of our bypass, but I do know some operators of that heavy iron. Thanks again.

Jim

/ Half a heavy equipment tire as plow... #5  
You better have a good supply of sawzall blades! I've seen these before and the rubber at the bead is close to 4" thick and the rest is not much thinner.
As you look at one of these, it really makes you wonder how they cut them especially with the steel cords in them. The ones that I have seen are a quarter of a full tire, that is cut in half, then cut again the round way.

Rusty.. I saw this guy with a gas powered cutoff saw who blew thru piles of tires on wheels to get the steel for salvage. Looks like a mask would have been handy..

‪Cutting Off Tires With A Demo Saw‬‏ - YouTube

I just looked into these saws, they're expensive.. Maybe find a place to rent one..?

Jim

/ Half a heavy equipment tire as plow... #7  
I'm thinking for driveways, get a larger tire and mount it the other way so it works like a V plow and relieves the snow as you go. Might be able to do a single car lane in one pass and be in for hot chocolate before others even start.

Fixer... Maybe to make a XC-ski trail. 'Tache four 4x4s to the bottom. The tire compacts the snow while the 4x4s make the tracks. On my drive, I betcha, a reversed tire would simply ride over/compact the snow.

Jim

/ Half a heavy equipment tire as plow... #9  
Wet, they do make rubber cutting edges for reg. snow plows. I know the city of Frederick (MD) uses them, I grabed one of them out of their dumpser! I think you just need to "sandwich" it between the blade and a pc. of flat plate ((to act as a washer) so that the bolts don't pull through the rubber. Good idea on the cutoff saw, I hadn't thought about that. Most rental yards do rent them, but I imagine that it would take a diamond blade rather than a regular (stone) abrasive blade.

/ Half a heavy equipment tire as plow... #10  
The abrazive blades work better on them for cutting. Masonary is coarser and works better on the tired Ive cut. I made a couple of these type scrapers for a scrap yard one time to sqeegee mud off the pad.