R1 vs R4 Tire Selection

/ R1 vs R4 Tire Selection
Just to be clear, are you just replacing the rears???

And also, when swapping from r4's to R1's, usually the the rim is different, as is the over all height, which will screw up your 4wd. So unless you plan on 4 new tires AND 4 new rims, it might be best to stick with what you have. Are you satisfied with the tires you have now (other than them being worn out?)

I was planning on replacing only the rears. The front tires are in good condition. I shouldn't have a problem with my 4wd ratio as long as I replace with the same tire diameter (which I plan to do). Would I have to replace rims if I went with 16.9-24 R1?
I bought this tractor used and the rear tires were 95% worn when I got it so I have no experience in how they performed when new.
BTW, I can get the R1 and R4 for the same price (~$500/ea) but the R1
requires a $50 tube.

/ R1 vs R4 Tire Selection #12  
if you have R4 rims then that is your only choice.an if you have R1 rims then thats your only choice.

/ R1 vs R4 Tire Selection #14  
I grew up with R1's, my first little orange tractor (used) had R1's, so when I ordered my green machine I wanted R1's.
The dealer couldn't find one within 1000 miles. Everything had R4's, but they were $500 more. Finally we split the difference and I took the R4's.
Enlarged the chains off the old R1's and haven't looked back since....
I do very little ground tilling work, but spend most of the time on the trails, in the bush or on my lawn. Chains on in the fall when the rain comes and the leaves get slippery, they stay on for the winters ice and snow, then come off after the spring mud is gone. Meanwhile I get floatation spring, summer and fall. Just wish I could adjust the rims wider. (I've already turned them inside out for chain clearance)

I was told a 16.9-24 R1 and a 17.5-24 R4 require a 15" wide rim. So why couldn't I install R1 tires on my existing R4 rims?:confused:

/ R1 vs R4 Tire Selection #18  
I was told a 16.9-24 R1 and a 17.5-24 R4 require a 15" wide rim. So why couldn't I install R1 tires on my existing R4 rims?:confused:

I don't see why you couldn't. I've switched from R1 to 4s and vice versa on my MF 251 without any issues. I'm 2wd though, so had one less calculation to make.

/ R1 vs R4 Tire Selection #19  
I don't see why you couldn't. I've switched from R1 to 4s and vice versa on my MF 251 without any issues. I'm 2wd though, so had one less calculation to make.

The rims will probabally be fine, but you need to look at the overall diameter, or the rolling circumfrence of the tires you have and compare to the tires you want to buy.

Firestone All Traction Utility R-4 Tire 17.5L24

Firestone Field & Road R-1 Tractor Tire 16.9x24

Here is just an example. The R-1's are 3" taller, and have a 10" longer rolling circufrence vs the r4's. (145 vs 155)

That means, the R4 only travels 145" per revolution or 12'1" and the R1 is 155", or 12"11".

This may play havoc with your 4wd. Your fronts may want to try to cover MUCH more ground than the rears. So think of it this way, for every revolution of a rear tire (if you get the r4's) is like skidding the fronts for 10". I wonder how long the fronts are going to last??

That means, the R4 only travels 145" per revolution or 12'1" and the R1 is 155", or 12"11".

This may play havoc with your 4wd. Your fronts may want to try to cover MUCH more ground than the rears. So think of it this way, for every revolution of a rear tire (if you get the r4's) is like skidding the fronts for 10". I wonder how long the fronts are going to last??

My L4740 HST 4wd owners manual calls for standard:
front tires 8.3-16 (circumference 94")
rear tires 14.9-24 (circumference 149").

There has to be a gear reduction somewhere to account for the difference in circumference. As I see it, as long as I maintain a rear to front circumference ratio of 149:94 I would be adhereing to the
owners manual specification.

I currently have:
front tires 10-16.5 (circumference 91")
rear tires are 17.5-24 (circumference 145")
So my ratio is 145:91. Very close to the owners manual specification.

Is this correct or am I missing something?:confused:

Last edited: