Tire pressure?

/ Tire pressure? #1  

uphill

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Cat 420E backhoe, Cat 303.5 excavator, John Deere 870
What is the proper tire air pressure for my John Deere 870 tractor tires? They are ag tires and the rear's have water. Currently the rears look squatty and are evidently low on air pressure. Is there a general pressure that applies to most tractor tires or are they all different? What about ag vs. commercial?

/ Tire pressure? #2  
Go for a flat bar on the ground. Depending on loads and make of tire it does change.

/ Tire pressure? #3  
Go for a flat bar on the ground. Depending on loads and make of tire it does change.

X2, I always inflate until the outside of the tread begins to rise, then deflate until the outside just touches. Works best on a concrete floor, as Art stated, you will need to compensate some for weight on the front or back...be careful going too low. I did that on my first tractor, spun the rim inside the tire, and tore the valve stem out of the tube spilling my ballast all over the yard. Needless to say, $200 bucks later, I had learned my lesson...

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Tire pressure? #4  
I have specific pressures for front & rear tires (from owners manual) but generally follow what adirondac says for the rear. Probably best for you to find an owners manual. That will tell the pressures by tire size - and yes, the pressure does vary by size. I run max allowed in the front tires - I have a FEL and do move heavy loads with it.