Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses

/ Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses #1  

OkieG

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 855 (24hp/19@PTO)
Ever had this happen to you? My FEL hydraulic hose bundle is long enough to touch the front tire. Nothing bad has happened, but it's disconcerting to see the hoses bouncing off the spinning front tire while driving along. The fabric covering the bundle is intact, but well scuffed from years of close encounters. I've been concerned that this is some sort of an accident waiting to happen.

The attachment gives you an idea what I mean.

OkieG

Attachments

• 248557-MVC-012F.JPG
    248557-MVC-012F.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 396
   / Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses
Yesterday, the idea bulb lit up. I mounted a "hook" to the FEL mast with a couple sheet metal screws.

Attachments

• 248561-MVC-013F.JPG
    248561-MVC-013F.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 324
Here's a pic with the bundle restrained by the new hook. Although it is hard to tell from this angle, the hose bundle is several inches away from the tire now.

OkieG

Attachments

• 248563-MVC-014F.JPG
    248563-MVC-014F.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 343
   / Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses #4  
It doesn't look like a real problem unless it tears up the loom covering the hoses or it gets caught on something. I've seen lines with the cover rubbed and rotted off of them and they are still good. Could you tie it up a little with some heavy wire ties?
DaveL

/ Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses #5  
I was typing; you were posting. The hook should fix it and it looks good. Surprised at the amount of hose looped around in your picture. Is that the normal fel hose routing?

Dave,
Ties work nicely to keep the hoses out of the way, but to mount and unmount the FEL the whole length of the hoses must be able to stretch out. Ties would have to be cut or "undone". The hoses can easily be freed from the hook for implement changes, which is a plus for me since that is something I am often doing.

The hoses usually aren't real close to the tire when I first start the tractor up. As things warm up, they sag, and before I know it the hoses are dragging on the tire.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the normal routing. However, for whatever reason, my FEL hoses my be a little longer than normal /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I don't know if anyone else has this kind of situation.

OkieG.

/ Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses #7  
Tarp straps or as we say "rubberbands" work well and are cheap. I have that same problem on my new 5030 HSTC and I used the "rubberband" fix.
If you drive down about any road and look on the shoulder you can probably find a few that came off a semi so they will be the best price FREE /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.

/ Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses #8  
The FEL hoses on my 4110,s 410 don't appear to be quite as long, but they do rub a little when I turn the wheels all the way to the left. I've only got about 12 hours on it, but I think I'll definitely do something to hold the hoses away from the tire.

/ Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses #9  
I have the same problem with my 790. The routing looks about the same as yours too. I don't worry about it too much but the next time I get to spend some "quality maintenance" time with my tractor I'll figure out a way to tie them back better. My loader has a little wireform clip that is supposed to hold the hoses back but it doesn't work well. I like your solution /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Front Tire Scuffing FEL Hydraulic Hoses #10  
OkieG,

My bundle routes just like yours. The only difference is that mine just barely scrapes every once in a while. I noticed you have larger treaded tires on your fronts. Mine are straight turfs so I'm guessing they are a little shorter. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif By the way have you repainted your hood or is it still just looking that nice? Mines definitely faded out (that's how I got it).