tire studs

/ tire studs #1  

reggiejr

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota L3800
Have any of you tryed out the maxi grip tire studs on your tractor?how do they perform on snow and ice.I have a new kubota L3800 4x4 and i wanted chains but would definatly would need wheel spacers+chains=big money.Wish they considered chain clearance when building these tractors duhhhh people do use them in the snow too.I have a gravel drive and a small farm to maintain with sm/med hills this tractor has a 6' rear mount snowblower and fel.would studding all 4 tires do the trick or should i bite the bullet and get chains+spacers.Im in Maine so this tractor will see lots of snow in the wintertime.advise needed. thanks

Last edited:
   / tire studs #2  
I'd think it would be the same as with cars - decent help on ice, but no assistance in deep or packed snow at all. Chains are for snow & packed snow; which is what you'll run into most.

/ tire studs #3  
Any chance you could switch your tires side to side and gain enough space for chains? You won't need much. It worked on my JD 4300..

/ tire studs #4  
   / tire studs #5  
Maybe a bit late for you, but I studded up my tires last night. I got 3/4" long hex head screws and put about 75 in each back tire and 25 in each front, all of them near the centre of the tire so I probably have 7 or 8 on the ground on each rear tire. Worked like a charm.
We had about 6" of snow on a sheet of ice with a 10-12% slope and I could still drive forward up the hill pulling my 7' rear blade. I did use the diff lock but there was no chance of plowing this way with the tires unstudded.
I had to almost stomp on the brake pedal to get some wheel slip even when pointed downhill on pure ice.
After an hour of plowing and moving some hay around the front screws look new and the odd back one had a tiny amount of wear from the areas with frozen gravel exposed. I think they will still be easy to get out in the spring at this wear rate.
No pics as my phone camera didn't like the cold, but I'll try to get some soon. Best $20 tractor mod so far for me!

/ tire studs
Thanks for the input I'm actually still tossing around which route to go.

Ive been using my 3pt rear blower and so far so good with nothing on the tires.
However they are loaded though so i guess the extra weight seems to be helping somewhat.
But sooner or later we will get some real snow and my luck will run out.
Lots of ice under the snow right now here too but Ive been taking it easy.
The studs would be so much easier and cheaper for me compared to the 2" wheel spacers and chains route.
I could probably stud every tire i own for the price of the spacers alone.
Keep us posted how you still like them in a few more storms.thanks again.

/ tire studs #7  
If my driveway was pretty much flat I wouldn't have bothered doing anything to the tires as I think I could've got by in 4wd with any likely amount of snow we normally get. But its almost all hill so I had to do something otherwise I'd have to plow like I did with my ATV when it got icy, just going down hill which would've made it a long job with the slow speed of a tractor.

/ tire studs #9  
I did the grooving thing on my R4's last weekend but no snow here !..they filled up nicely with mud as soon as I ran over some!

James K0UA

/ tire studs #10  
I studded my tractor tires with self tapping screws.
Over time they all would have pulled out.
I ended up removing them and still curse the day I installed them.
I still find the odd one on the driveway.
Great traction for the 15 minutes they stayed in.