Tractor
    Deere 4310 HST MFWD

Default How much tire ballast for R4\'s

OK, I have a tractor on order, and want to know how many gallons of liquid ballast I am going to need. (so I can decide how I want to do it...)

I have searched and found many informative answers, except my tire size is never listed [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

They are 15-19.5 R4 Industrials in rear and 25x8.5-14 R4 in front.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Re: How much tire ballast for R4\'s

Same size as I have on my JD4300, and I put in 30 gallons in each tire. 25 gallons of windshield washer fluid and 5 gallons of water in each.

$50

Tractor
    Deere 4310 HST MFWD

Thanks!
    I can get used antifreeze for free, .25/gal on the WW fluid.

I have noticed that Deere, and the tire manufacturers say not to use alcohol. I used WW in my Yanmar, and didn't have a problem.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TC33DA HST

<font color="blue"> I can get used antifreeze for free, .25/gal on the WW fluid </font>

Beware of antifreeze. If it is ethylene glycol based, and you have a leak, the puddles can be death traps for pets and wild animals. It tastes sweet, but is deadly poison. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] (couldn't find a skull and crossbones)

Tractor
    Deere 4310 HST MFWD

Actually, this is non-toxic stuff, but it is used, so I am wondering if it would have other problems, (contaminants..)

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300; JD LX233

As long as you're sure it is non-toxic, I wouldn't worry about any other stuff in it. All it does is sit in there and provide extra weight. You just want to be sure that you won't have it freeze (if applicable in your climate), cause rust, or be deadly when it comes out (as it will, most likely when you aren't expecting it if your luck is anything like most of us [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).