Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains

/ Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I mounted my chains today and snaped a couple pictures for the benifit of anyone who is trying to find an easier way. This is not a novel or new approach. Many already use this well know method. It is almost to easy. I learned it here on TBN several years ago. Hope this might help someone else.

Layout chains. Surface gripping side up. Run a bungy through the rim and hook each end to the chain. Drive forward pulling the chains up over the tire. Stop and arrange them once or twice. When you are all the way around and the joint is in a good location hook them together. They will be tight to the tire and easy to hook.

Attachments

• MntChains1.JPG
    MntChains1.JPG
    558.9 KB · Views: 405
  • MntChains2.JPG
    MntChains2.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 424
  • MntChains3.JPG
    MntChains3.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 434
  • MntChains4.JPG
    MntChains4.JPG
    428.1 KB · Views: 455
   / Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains #2  
thanks for the pictures,makes a whole lot of sense.this would save a lot of time.

/ Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains #3  
I dont have chains for the tractor. YET. And I heard of this method for awhile now. I've learned two valuable things from your post.

1st. How easy it is get the chains on once laid out and aligned.

2nd. I'm not the only who waits till we have 6 inches of snow on the ground before I start getting my equipment ready for winter.

Wedge

/ Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains #4  
I dont have chains for the tractor. YET. And I heard of this method for awhile now. I've learned two valuable things from your post.

1st. How easy it is get the chains on once laid out and aligned.

2nd. I'm not the only who waits till we have 6 inches of snow on the ground before I start getting my equipment ready for winter.

Wedge

:laughing::thumbsup: Put me in that group too!

/ Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains
I read somewhere on here

"Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow" :D

/ Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains #6  
Excellent method with your style of rim.
Unfortunately my rims do not have those spaces to pass the bungee cord as mine are welded all around and no holes.
I do however use bungee cords but in a much more complicated way, so much so that I am tempted to weld a couple of 1/2 washers to have something to hook on.

I used to use a 6' piece of 1/4" rope to make a long loop tied to the chains. I would hook the loop into the tire lugs on top. But you probably need Ag tire for that to work.

/ Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains #8  
I simply lay out the chain behind tire, then jack up the rear axle. hook a link of the chain in the tire lug and roll the tire. the chain pulls itself up the tire. Hook, tighten and lower tractor.

I used to chain up my truck the way your showing here, but mu 2 link tire chain for my dk45 is all 3/8" chain and weighs a &^%$ of alot. i tried to do it this way first time, but couldn't lift the chain up and under the fender.....too tight and too heavy.

/ Easy Way to Mount Tire Chains #9  
I used to use a 6' piece of 1/4" rope to make a long loop tied to the chains. I would hook the loop into the tire lugs on top. But you probably need Ag tire for that to work.

That method also works with R4s.

I simply lay out the chain behind tire, then jack up the rear axle. hook a link of the chain in the tire lug and roll the tire. the chain pulls itself up the tire. Hook, tighten and lower tractor.

I used to chain up my truck the way your showing here, but mu 2 link tire chain for my dk45 is all 3/8" chain and weighs a &^%$ of alot. i tried to do it this way first time, but couldn't lift the chain up and under the fender.....too tight and too heavy.

I guess I don't understand. Whats to lift :confused: