Remove tire fluid ballast

/ Remove tire fluid ballast #1  

tpaulson

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 New Holland TC45D, 1953 JD 40 crawler, 1949 JD A, 1993 Lahman skidsteer
I am considering removing the calcium chloride from the rear tires on my NH TC45 tractor. I now have wheel weights and don't want the rims to rust out. Once the fluid is removed is there something to put in the tires to prevent the rims from continuing to rust?

/ Remove tire fluid ballast #2  
Use water to flush out as much CaCl as you can. Repair any rust spots and repaint.
It would probably be easier (in the long run) to remove the tires from the rims to do this, BTW.

/ Remove tire fluid ballast #3  
Are there tubes in the tires?

Last edited:
   / Remove tire fluid ballast #4  
If there are tubes in tires there is no reason to worry about rust unless get a hole in the tube. If they are tubeless, follow Roy's suggestion. You will have to remove the tires rinse them and wipe out remaining fluid, there is no way to pump out 100% of the fluid from a tire without dismounting it and wiping it dry.

/ Remove tire fluid ballast
Thanks, I think they have tubes or at least I hope they do. The nut on the valve stem is plastic instead of metal. The local tire dealer says that is a sign there are tubes in the tires. The valve stems have leaked once already. Hopefully the tube has kept the fluid contained.

/ Remove tire fluid ballast #6  
I'm sure someone will correct me but if there is a nut at all I think it would indicate tubes. I have a 1996 2120 with tubes and calcium chloride and have had my share of punctures. I replaced the rear tires a few years ago and except for some surface rust which I cleaned up I didn't have any problems. There are threads on this and some people have, or have heard, horror stories and others have used calcium chloride for decades with no problems.
I asked if you had tubes because that makes it easier to remove it if you want. A pump should be able to suck all the fluid out. If you didn't have tubes, you would have to take the tire off to get all the fluid out. A little left in would be worse than leaving them filled. When filled, the fluid should just cover the top of the rim, keep the air away and preventing oxidation.

/ Remove tire fluid ballast #7  
I am considering removing the calcium chloride from the rear tires on my NH TC45 tractor. I now have wheel weights and don't want the rims to rust out. Once the fluid is removed is there something to put in the tires to prevent the rims from continuing to rust?

Rims will only rust if the tube or the valve is leaking CaCl solution. if they are then you'll need to flush them free o salt, wire wheel them and repaint.

/ Remove tire fluid ballast #8  
Use water to flush out as much CaCl as you can. Repair any rust spots and repaint.
It would probably be easier (in the long run) to remove the tires from the rims to do this, BTW.

ditto that. remove the tires.. wash out.. wash rim.. remove any rust.. chemically convert.. then repaint.

reseat tire. perhaps dump in a quart of water and antifreeze, mixed at say 70% af..

soundguy

/ Remove tire fluid ballast #9  
Never heard of that one. What's that for?

/ Remove tire fluid ballast #10  
Never heard of that one. What's that for?

perhaps quoting the person you were replying to might give us a clue as to what you are refering to?

soundguy