Tire Chain Repair and Cross Link Questions

/ Tire Chain Repair and Cross Link Questions #1  

kco

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)
1. I need to modify my DUO chains to fill in a "blank spot" with two additional non-DUO cross chains on each 1/2 pair. One of the cross chains will need to be removeable and I am thinking of using a J-hook swivel hook which the catalogues say are useful for adding cross chains without tools. A J-hook photo is attached.

-- has anyone used J-hooks and how do they work?

2. To improve very close clearance to the fender supports I need to replace some side chain quick links with laplink repair links (photo attached). I have used these before but never seem to get them to completely shut by hammering or squeezing in a vise.

-- would using some JB Weld(I wasn't even aware of it until I read about it on TBN) and holding them shut with vise grips until set close that small gap?

Cheers

Attachments

• SWIVELHOOK-1.jpg
    SWIVELHOOK-1.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 198
  • LAPLINKSM.jpg
    LAPLINKSM.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 219
   / Tire Chain Repair and Cross Link Questions #3  
. ..............
-- would using some JB Weld(I wasn't even aware of it until I read about it on TBN) and holding them shut with vise grips until set close that small gap?

Cheers

No. JB weld won't work in this application.

/ Tire Chain Repair and Cross Link Questions
Destructo_d's pm and Travelover's reply saved me messing with JB Weld. I could get a neighbour to weld it but it really doesn't matter if it is not completely closed.

Destructo_d also said swivel J hooks aren't recommended for my application.

I got 8.5' of bulk 3/8" crosschain today. I filled the blank spots with two crosschains per 1/2 pair using normal cross chain hooks. One crosschain is installed permanently. The other is removeable (i.e. did not close the grab hooks) so I can install it after the chain ends are hooked together.

KYErik, I did use 5/16" quick links for the outside tails. They are too fat for the inside side chains. 1/4" quick links worked on the inside but I changed them to 1/4" laplinks (again, 5/16" are too big) which are stronger. The inside clearances are that tight!

The extra cross chains noticeably improved the ride.

/ Tire Chain Repair and Cross Link Questions #6  
Can you post a picture of what you did? Some people, for extra traction put a extra cross rail on the bare link inbetween each duogrip pattern... better traction and smoother ride.

If you do that, double check (been a while), but I think you need to make the extra rail 1 link wider than the duo grip pattern.

/ Tire Chain Repair and Cross Link Questions #7  
I have used the links like you have in the 2nd picture with and with out welding, perfer to weld them. I have also used the threaded links with good luck.

/ Tire Chain Repair and Cross Link Questions #8  
... I did use 5/16" quick links for the outside tails. They are too fat for the inside side chains. 1/4" quick links worked on the inside but I changed them to 1/4" laplinks (again, 5/16" are too big) which are stronger. The inside clearances are that tight!

The extra cross chains noticeably improved the ride.

Just a guess but do you have a Kubota? You can get wheel to move gain a little clearance! Might be a better solution than risking renovating your fenders;)

The photos show additions made to the DUO239's. The spacing between the DUO239 patterns was about 3 lugs. The blank space was 8 lugs which adding cross chains reduced to 3.

Another photo shows the small clearance to the fender support. The chains don't hit the support and the chipping is from the tails hitting when I did not properly secure them. A 5/16" quick link (threaded link) protrudes slightly more than the cross chain grab links, so I used a 1/4" laplink.

The poor clearance is at the worst spot. Even with the present poor installation the chains do not hit the fender support. I can improve it by hammering the crosschain grab link flatter. Also, the chains are mounted crooked because I simply let them down and pullled them back up to work on them. Reinstalling straighter will move the inner side chain a bit higher and provide more clearance. Even with the present poor installation the chains do not hit the fender support.

It has been a struggle to get this far. A local supplier built a first set of chains after I sent him the Titan data for my 43x16-20 tires. He built chains using 8 patterns of DUO297 cross chains 26.75" (14 links) long. They were much too large. They had five lugs between patterns, and after removing one pattern were still too long (photo attached).

I had researched chains at canadianchains.ca(they use Quality Chain products) before ordering from the local supplier. They were the only site showing DUO chains for my tire size and I put them in my "shopping cart", but did not purchase. They were DUO239 chains using DUO295 23.3" (12 link) cross chains. I contacted Quality Chain offices in the US and Canada and confirmed with both that DUO239 use 7 DUO239 patterns. I also filled in a Buy Tire Chains from CanadianChains.ca form asking for availability of DUO and ladder chains for a 43x16-20 tire.

In parallel, I sent photos to my supplier. He called me back and we decided to build a set of DUO239's. He gave full credit for the incorrect chains(less shipping) even though I'd cut out one pattern:thumbsup:. I would pay slightly less for the new chains plus shipping. I have no problem with the shipping because the chains are made in a Prince George shop and shipped to Vernon-it is a direct cost. The supplier paid shipping to return the incorrect chains to Prince George.

I can also see why the chains were too large. Using my tire measurements I did calculations considering tread width, tire wall height and rim height(and even considering chord lengths between grab hooks); and came to exactly the same conclusion of (incorrect) pattern he used.

So..now all is great:). He is building and shipping a set of DUO239's. Then, around 21:00 that night (they work late at CanadianChains) I received an answer to my online inquiry saying I need DUO242's:confused:. I wrote back saying the website showed DUO239's. The person responded next morning saying DUO242's with 8 patterns of 22.0" (11 link) cross chains is the new specification. He also sent me a new (Oct 1, 2011) catalogue (old one, March 2011 still on the website) showing this change.

I went back to an email CanadianChains sent a few days after I had placed the DUO239's in my "shopping cart" a couple of weeks earlier. It specified DUO239's for which I could complete the order by clicking a link. When I clicked the link it went to the website and changed DUO239 to DUO242.

I also see the new Quality Chains catalogue the DUO239 cross links have changed to 20.0" DUO293 from the former 23.3" DUO295.

Oh, Oh!:( So I called the supplier in Prince George. Too late--the chains were on the truck and I got them in Vernon next morning.

I am sure the DUO242 with 8 patterns of 22" would have been exactly right. Instead of an 8 lug gap it would have been the correct size with a denser overall pattern of around 2 to 2.5 lugs instead of 3. They would ride slightly higher on the sidewall giving me more clearance from the inside grablinks.

So that's how I ended up filling in DUO239's. It has smoothed out the ride. As Destructo_d mentions, they can be smoothed further by adding crosslink between the DUO patterns. Tirechains.com sell these as DUO Ladder chains (photo attached).

If I was doing it over, I would be inclined to go with something like the Trygg Safety Grip (photo attached) or two link ladder chains--but the DUO's will work.

Cheers

Attachments

• rTractorChains_0.JPG
    rTractorChains_0.JPG
    532.7 KB · Views: 824
  • rTractorChains_1.JPG
    rTractorChains_1.JPG
    549.3 KB · Views: 550
  • rTractorChains_2.JPG
    rTractorChains_2.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 316
  • rTOO_LARGE_CHAINS.JPG
    rTOO_LARGE_CHAINS.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 349
  • DUO-LADDER-Chains.jpg
    DUO-LADDER-Chains.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 698
  • trygg-safety-grip-6x7.pdf
    249.2 KB · Views: 401
Just a guess but do you have a Kubota? You can get wheel to move gain a little clearance! Might be a better solution than risking renovating your fenders;)

It's a DK35 with a 1 piece rim--so no adjustments. Larger DK's (40, 45, etc.) have two piece rims and would be adjustable.

An option would be wheel spacers, but I'd opt for a different type chain such as the Tryggs or Aquiline MPC's instead.

I'm sure the DUO's will be fine with a bit more effort.