Comparing Ag & Turf Tire Prices

/ Comparing Ag & Turf Tire Prices #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I have almost decided I want to change the 14.9 X 24 turf tires on my Maseey Ferguson 35 for a set of ag tires.
I have come across a fellow who indicated he was interested in doing a "swap" - my turfs for his ag tires - both sets are on rims, my turfs are loaded and I don't know yet if the ag tires are loaded.
The question I have - What would make this a fair trade? Is one type of tire usually more expensive than the other if we can assume the tires are in comparable condition?
I hope to contact this person later in the week and arrange to see the tires he has but I would appreciate any advice on what to look for beyond rusty and decaying rims and severly checked rubber. Is there an easy way to determine the age of a tire (even approximately)?

Any other advice appreciated.
Bob

/ Comparing Ag & Turf Tire Prices #2  
assuming that the tires inquestion are both of the same quality and have the same wear, then it would be ok to swap. the initial diff in cost is not that great, and u both get what u desire for no add. cost. as far as age of tire , guess u just have to go by how they look, how much are they worn, any cracks of splits? make sure to check the tire facing in towards the tractor, u will have to decide! best i can offer.

/ Comparing Ag & Turf Tire Prices #3  
<font color="blue"> What would make this a fair trade? </font>

If the ag tires are loaded, I'd consider it an even trade, otherwise, maybe subract out the difference to have the tires loaded. When new, the Ag's are typically the cheapest, followed by turfs & then Industrials. Of course the difference is usually <$200 total.

/ Comparing Ag & Turf Tire Prices #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When new, the Ag's are typically the cheapest, )</font>

In my geographical area it is just the opposite. When I purchased about 1 month ago, my salesman and I were doing the tire discussion thing and he informed me that the R4's were included in the price of the tractor. For a little extra $ I could get the Turfs and then the AG's were the most expensive of the 3.

/ Comparing Ag & Turf Tire Prices #5  
My Kubota was just the opposite. Ags were the cheapest, followed by turf and then R4's. R4's were on it and he traded them out to get me the cheaper ags.

/ Comparing Ag & Turf Tire Prices #6  
I wonder if the price difference doesn't depend on what the tractor already has on it and what the dealer has in stock. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif When I was buying a Kubota (had ag tires on it), one dealer told me $100 more for R4, but the dealer I bought from said same price with either tires. I think he did mention that their cost was about $20 difference.