How to change loaded tire?

/ How to change loaded tire? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
I did a search, but came up empty.

I'm currently demoing turf tires from my dealer. Either I will buy them (If I can get approval from the CFO /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) or I will be taking them back soon. Either way, I'm going to want to put my R4's back on the tractor at some point. Just rolled one up on the bathroom scale. 280# ! Now I've got tread marks on the scale /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I can flip it up after it was lying down, but I can't "dead lift" it.

Size is 12X16.5. There are 6 bolt holes. The tire is held on by two studs w/ lug nuts and 4 lug bolts.

So, all you farm boys, how's it done? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ How to change loaded tire? #2  
The first thing that comes to mind is what the mechanics use at work for heavy truck tires.

15824016.jpg

While a nice tool to have, a little much for the tractor at home. I've done smaller tires by standing the tire up, and lowering the jack under the tractor until things line up. Then do a little man handling to get the wheel on the studs.

/ How to change loaded tire?
That would look great in my garage! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I guess I'd really have to enjoy it, because If I brought it home, I'd be sleeping with that. What's it called? How much?

/ How to change loaded tire? #4  
Wonder what AAA would do with a call like this?

/ How to change loaded tire? #5  
Its called a dual wheel dolly. It will lift 9", plus has casters for movement. I found that picture at Northern Tool with a cost of $400.

I see these used all the time in our shop. This is how tires are changed on heavy trucks.

/ How to change loaded tire? #6  
How did you get the tire into the bathroom? LOL

One option is to make a "fork" type device out of some metal angle stock. It should have two tongs the will fit under the tire as it sits on the ground, they should be about 24" long or so. Then weld a handle on the "fork" to lift the tire onto the studs. Not as easy as the device about, but allot better on the wallet!

Hope this helps...

/ How to change loaded tire? #7  
Not a major problem, just use a jack under that axle, and raise or lower it to match the height of the wheel. Some slight jockey'ing around to line up the lug bolts, but not a difficult task. Certainly no need to get a forked lift to raise the tire, IMO. Watch where your hands and fingers are at all times, and have the wheels blocked to keep the tractor from moving, and have safety blocks under the frame to "catch" and hold the tractor if for some reason the jack fails.

But if you are not sure just what you are doing, and why, then I would suggest letting someone else do it.

Attached is a pic of when I changed both rear tires, loaded, from side to side. I used a jack and blocking. One wheel has been removed and "waits" to be put on the other side, while the right rear is leaning in place waiting to be bolted on. I didn't do this carelessly, as I didn't want that tractor sitting on the concrete with no way to lift it back up.

Attachments

• 258940-tirechange.jpg
    258940-tirechange.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 401
   / How to change loaded tire? #8  
Sometimes I get some truck tires that have to remove at work and are heavy. Maybe not as heavy as 280#. But enough so I don't want to risk blowing out my back. What I do is take some old piping that we had laying around. I think anything that you can grip your hand around comfortable. I've even done it with wood 2x4 on edge. You will need two pieces about 6' long. Position one end (but both pieces) about a fott farther in than hub of the wheel your trying to install. Space them far enough apart so the wheel will not roll off maybe with a slight v the point being under the tractor. Grip the other end (the sticking out) and lift slightly till its at the height needed. Kind of like a lever but keeps the wheel from rolling using two pieces of material. This also helps a lot, position the one of the lugs at 12:00 then position the wheel hole at 12:00 too so when it is lifted it is lined up. Also it may help if you have the bottom of the tire slighly under the hub so the top of the tire is slightly tipping out, this will aid in sliding it on the studs. Another thing don't jack the tractor any higher than it needs to be usually an inch of the ground (from the bottom of the tire), the less you have to lift the easier it will be.

Hope this helps

/ How to change loaded tire?
Beenthere,

Thanks for your concern.

You described pretty much what my game plan was, ie move the tractor up & down to line up with the wheel. Not having done it before, I guess I was looking for confirmation that my plan was the "right" & safe way. I probably should have stated my plan and asked for comments, instead of "duh, guys how do I put a tire on?"

I feel I'm reasonably well equipped, choice of floor jack & bottle jack, jack stands, level garage floor, and wheel chocks.

/ How to change loaded tire? #10  
Sounds to me like you have the situation well in hand. An extra pair of hands around while you are doing this is probably very helpful too, especially if you get caught in a squeeze play. Just another hand on the jack handle to raise a bit, or lower a bit could help. You have the right equipment IMO.